Manu Tuilagi

bignij

Referees in England
Post Likes
What if Care was a lefty? Then gravity would have done the job and let him fall on his neck. You teach players how to tackle correctly. Lifting them up and driving them sideways is DANGEROUS!

I see you are English so you will feel it is a right call. But lets say that was a SA player tackling a England player like that. Would you have still said it was the right call? What if the shoe was on the other foot?
Hi Mr Dweller. Your post has me a little confused. I'm saying it should be a RC. I'm not sure if you are saying I think the right call is a YC, I don't. Your post seems to argue with mine yet agree with it! If that makes sense? ;)

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi Mr Dweller. Your post has me a little confused. I'm saying it should be a RC. I'm not sure if you are saying I think the right call is a YC, I don't. Your post seems to argue with mine yet agree with it! If that makes sense? ;)
My appoligies. I thought you said RC = right call not Red card.

Last edited:

bignij

Referees in England
Post Likes
My appoligies. I thought you said RC = right call not Red card.

No problems. I thought everyone was aware of the YC, RC format. Like I said in an earlier post on a different thread, semantics. :)

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No problems. I thought everyone was aware of the YC, RC format. Like I said in an earlier post on a different thread, semantics. :)

We had this discussion in another forum where I almost had to take on the whole forum and was insulted from left to right cause I do not agree. The general public think that how the tackle ends up is relevant and because Care made it look better by sticking his arm out it is ok because he did not fall on his neck. Which I tried to explain to them as being irrelevant because he still lifted him and then did the drive motion. Irrelevant how they twisted as that is all the to do with momentum as with anything else. Well my efforts failed and ended being branded a troll for it.

Just have a look here
http://www.nowrugby.com/mb/showthread.php?t=103606

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
a lot of nonsense in that thread. interesting comments about the ref's authority not being undermined, as i'd imagine it happens quite a lot in other contexts!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Never a RC , Care was held and driven sideways, he wasn't tipped and aimed downwards.

Watch the reaction of the players, none reacted in any way ....says it all.

Anyway the debate should be about the upsurge in tackles that are shoulder led that end up through the throat area ! Now they are mostly always dangerous

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watch the reaction of the players, none reacted in any way ....says it all.
Hmmmm..... if you as a ref base your judgement on the reaction of the players, you need to be pretty sure that the players know the laws at least as well as you. Let me remind you of the scorn that Allain Rolland's 100% correct Warburton decision was met with in the RWC by the Welsh players on the pitch, and perhaps more tellingly the gaggle of well-known talking heads in the studio who had had time to think and the opportunity to watch replays. None of them knew of the iRB requirements; none of them understood the law. None of them was up-to-date.

Any ref will give you myriad instances of players at the level he refs being utterly ignorant of even the most basic laws ("but I was on my feet when I handled that ball in the ruck!"). Allowing the lunatics to run the asylum is rarely a good idea - particularly if you as the current person in authority do so because it's all too hard for you to make your own decisions!