Mark Lawrence retires from International rugby

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:frown:

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
He did not get selected the the World Cup. I do not blame him. I wish he would do one more match, though. That crummy Canada -USA match was no way to finish a great career. Maybe they can coax him into a Barbarians game?

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
All thought he was one of the better refs so such a shame.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I met him recently and he's just one of the guys too...class act.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I hope POB's satisfied!!!!!!:mad:

Edit:Would ML have retired after the RWC if he had gone to NZ? We'll never know. I bet he's the first of many.

If ML coaches/develops/mentors new refs who are half as good as he is he'll produce ones that are twice as good as some folk in NZ at the moment.

I'm pleased he'll still be doing S15 but it appears given the travel associated with S15 then it really is two fingers to the iRB & POB rather than "retirement".

Good luck to him,:pepper::bday:

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Could someone check in on DrStu. He seemed to take the news.... badly.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I called him last night. It was hard to understand him through the sobbing. I have a hard enough time with his Newcastle accent in person. But, I think he said he will be ok.

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
shame but he'll make a great coach. HE was in my "best refs in the world" list in our comp. so what happens there?// mind you i can't work out how to follow the results/standings of that anyway -was just hoping robbie would post a final result some day.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I picture him in a fetal curl, crying, clutching his ML doll and stroking its hair.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I hope POB's satisfied!!!!!!:mad:

Edit:Would ML have retired after the RWC if he had gone to NZ? We'll never know. I bet he's the first of many.

If ML coaches/develops/mentors new refs who are half as good as he is he'll produce ones that are twice as good as some folk in NZ at the moment.

I'm pleased he'll still be doing S15 but it appears given the travel associated with S15 then it really is two fingers to the iRB & POB rather than "retirement".

Good luck to him,:pepper::bday:

I object to some of this post.

Firstly, using the retirement of a great referee to vent your spleen over your perception of the standard of the current crop of young NZ referees is inappropriate. There are some excellent your referees here who are heading for the top, Glen Jackson, Garret Williamson, Chris Pollock etc

Secondly, I expect someone from THIS forum at least (even if all the idiots on Planet Rugby don't) to understand that POB does NOT select referees, for the world cup or any other competititon. He is one member of a team of selectors, ALL of whom have opinions that carry considerable weight.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I called him last night. It was hard to understand him through the sobbing. I have a hard enough time with his Newcastle accent in person. But, I think he said he will be ok.

I picture him in a fetal curl, crying, clutching his ML doll and stroking its hair.

I thought I was having a very eloquent day yesterday' apparently not!!!

I'm fine. I've got my chemicals and cells to keep me happy:(

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I object to some of this post.

Firstly, using the retirement of a great referee to vent your spleen over your perception of the standard of the current crop of young NZ referees is inappropriate. There are some excellent your referees here who are heading for the top, Glen Jackson, Garret Williamson, Chris Pollock etc
You are surely misreading this aspect of LLP's post. The "folk in NZ at the moment" are the ones reffing the RWC, not the up-and-coming NZ referees (about whom LLP knows zip as yet).

But you're spot on about Paddy being only the Vieux Boulogne on the wider cheeseboard. Shame on you LLP!

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is there a feeling that he should have continued on the international stage? What number does he rank in the world scene?
Maybe at 45 he is making the right decision?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You are surely misreading this aspect of LLP's post. The "folk in NZ at the moment" are the ones reffing the RWC, not the up-and-coming NZ referees (about whom LLP knows zip as yet).

Correct. I did mean a few RWC appointees. Ian apologies to you however you need to relax a bit.:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
But you're spot on about Paddy being only the Vieux Boulogne on the wider cheeseboard. Shame on you LLP!

Pourquoi? I'm afraid I can't feel too ashamed at not knowing whether POB trumps Hilditch etc. Collectively POB and co have been part of a process that left a more than capable referee at home. Shame on them maybe?

Tightens spleen valve.

Nighty night!:smile:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Correct. I did mean a few RWC appointees. Ian apologies to you however you need to relax a bit.:biggrin:

Ouch. I did read that wrong. Fair call. & my apologies

But I stand by the bit about POB. Too many people see him is the cause of all refereeing woes world wide, and it simply is not true.