Match of the week

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hey,
So in Canada, my options for watching live rugby are pretty much non-existent so I end up having to specifically download particular matches to watch them. I follow Super Rugby, the ITM cup and internationals pretty religiously and I know the matches to watch, but apart from the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup, I never really watched much domestic European rugby. This leaves me with a hole from mid-November to mid-February of not watching much rugby. So I was thinking that since there are numerous Europeans on here that I would ask for a recommendation of 1 or 2 matches a week (that's all I really have time for) to watch. Please don't tell me to start following your favorite team as that probably won't happen. What I'm looking for is a couple of matches that you guys watched and you think would be worthwhile for me to find and watch.
Thanks,
Chris

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Leicester v Toulon in the Cup was a great game.......and lots of refereeing decisions to ponder.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hey,
So in Canada, my options for watching live rugby are pretty much non-existent so I end up having to specifically download particular matches to watch them. I follow Super Rugby, the ITM cup and internationals pretty religiously and I know the matches to watch, but apart from the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup, I never really watched much domestic European rugby. This leaves me with a hole from mid-November to mid-February of not watching much rugby. So I was thinking that since there are numerous Europeans on here that I would ask for a recommendation of 1 or 2 matches a week (that's all I really have time for) to watch. Please don't tell me to start following your favorite team as that probably won't happen. What I'm looking for is a couple of matches that you guys watched and you think would be worthwhile for me to find and watch.
Thanks,
Chris

It really depends on what you're looking for, free running? High scoring? Close score intensity? Offloads? Grunt? Highly attritional?

If you deliberately want to avoid fluent back play and watch loads of Scrummaging and Penalty Kicks , then any match involving Leicester Tigers should quench that appetite ! . :shrug:

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It really depends on what you're looking for, free running? High scoring? Close score intensity? Offloads? Grunt? Highly attritional?

If you deliberately want to avoid fluent back play and watch loads of Scrummaging and Penalty Kicks , then any match involving Leicester Tigers should quench that appetite ! . :shrug:

Basically, if you watched a match that you think is worthwhile to watch, then post it. Personally, I'm a 9 and I like multi phase rugby with open play and as little scrummaging as possible.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Personally, I'm a 9 and I like multi phase rugby with open play and as little scrummaging as possible.

Sevens Series ticks that preference.

However, I always thought 9's really enjoyed scrum time, their golden chance to ;

* pose for the standard pre feed photograph to furnish the clubhouse wall this season
* commence a nudge fest with your oppo , the only other guy in the match who shops without paying adult tax
* stand on the flankers ankle to goad a retaliatory punch & subsequent dismissal
* practice that unnecessary left handed dive pass that always gets an wow outta the watching coaching team
* ask the referee to be on the look out for w,x,y,z at rucks
* give the referee lots of guidance on what contititues flanker binding and offside lines
* tell the forwards to protect him from tackling responsibility more
* use the 8'9' dummy to 14 move to show their arc'ing running skills
* poke their tight bum out to show off their perfectly formed glutemus maximus to the watching mums
* shout six different directional clues, pretending that you have a clue how the oppo are going to use their possession
* provide a miriad of innocent facial expression and shoulder shrugs to impress the spectators following a crooked feed decision

Yep, the more I think about it 9s actually live for the scrums more than the forwards !
:love:

Last edited:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Newcastle v stade Francais was a good attritional game last night.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sevens Series ticks that preference.

However, I always thought 9's really enjoyed scrum time, their golden chance to ;

* pose for the standard pre feed photograph to furnish the clubhouse wall this season
* commence a nudge fest with your oppo , the only other guy in the match who shops without paying adult tax
* stand on the flankers ankle to goad a retaliatory punch & subsequent dismissal
* practice that unnecessary left handed dive pass that always gets an wow outta the watching coaching team
* ask the referee to be on the look out for w,x,y,z at rucks
* give the referee lots of guidance on what contititues flanker binding and offside lines
* tell the forwards to protect him from tackling responsibility more
* use the 8'9' dummy to 14 move to show their arc'ing running skills
* poke their tight bum out to show off their perfectly formed glutemus maximus to the watching mums
* shout six different directional clues, pretending that you have a clue how the oppo are going to use their possession
* provide a miriad of innocent facial expression and shoulder shrugs to impress the spectators following a crooked feed decision

Yep, the more I think about it 9s actually live for the scrums more than the forwards !
:love:

I already watch the sevens series, and it is my preferred form of the sport.

I also don't see anything wrong with anything else that you posted. Us 9's need to be the center of attention...but we're so used to it and there are so many pictures of us in the clubhouse that there's no point in getting any more...2 or 3 scrums a match is good enough. Plus, there's so many resets that we get to do it all over again, and that flanker will eventually swing away...

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
If you can get Toulon v Leicester on Sat....pull up a chair and buckle yer self in

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Sevens is shite. Rugby for people who like entertainment over contest

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you can get Toulon v Leicester on Sat....pull up a chair and buckle yer self in

Yep, the "underground bar" in Corralejo, Fuerteventura has been pursuaded to show it ko 15.15 GMT. The first 15 mins should be tasty.

Toulon +20 says head, English heart says Tigers +1 !!!!! :eng:c'mon its Eng v France, well - almost ish !