Match Official Developer App - your input please

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have been testing an App called MOD (Match Official Developer) over the last couple of weeks as an alternative to pen and paper for watching referees.

I have been very impressed with it so far. I have a demo version which allows me to record 10 minute games and am looking forward to trying it out in a proper game, hopefully at the end of the month. So far been using it while watching videos of games.

As Vice Chairman of Staffordshire Referees I am putting a report together for our Exec on its feasibility for use across the Society for Watching/Observing/Assessing.

I would be interested to hear of any experience anyone has of using this App.
Thanks

This is their website: https://sportsofficialsolutions.com/match-official-developer/

This is a demo video: https://youtu.be/X_SxA3Hgd_M

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am curious, does it take a lot of practice to use ?
I was wondering about simply using Google recorder mm which gives you a transcription

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've got bot the MOD app and the ref watch app I've also been trialling them watching videos of some 6N games. It's a tidy piece of work.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I use a different app called Referee Coach, which is simple to use.

The screen on that one looks awfully busy to me.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon, do you have a link/website for this referee coach app?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I took a look at that one on Android. Seems messy to me.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I've used it a few times. First time was ugly, but then got progressively easier

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find the MOD app really intuitive.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I have been asked to trial a few apps over the years to assist development of them. From my experience I have found that for coaches and for PRs/assessors/observers at local society level they can be of some use, especially for those of us that like using technology and digital devices. From my own personal point of view I found that the gathering of data/information that was possible didn’t match up with that which was required at my level and the compulsory reporting form I had to complete. (At the time, but I do know that it is yet again up for review.) Another personal problem was that unless I was using a large notebook the keypad was too small and also I couldn’t type fast enough to make notes. I’d be interested to know other people’s experiences of this aspect of the process.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am curious, does it take a lot of practice to use ?
I was wondering about simply using Google recorder mm which gives you a transcription

I picked it up quite quickly. Certainly easier to learn than writing it all down.

This app has a speech to text function, but I am told by those who have tried it out in the field that Wind noise can be a problem.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I use a different app called Referee Coach, which is simple to use.

The screen on that one looks awfully busy to me.

There are two versions of the front screen. Simple and Detailed.

Simple version just records penalties as Tackle penalty, Ruck penalty, etc. This would be good for lower level refs (9 and below maybe).

The detailed screen records Tackle penalty (or any other breakdown), then the specific offence like not rolling away (or holding on etc), player number (if known) and position on pitch. Watching the EU cups this weekend I found it easy to enter this quickly and not miss anything.

Your right though it does look busy, but like anything its simple once you get used to it. I picked it up quite quickly and they have this weekend made the front screen crisper and cleaner. Same number of buttons though.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have been asked to trial a few apps over the years to assist development of them. From my experience I have found that for coaches and for PRs/assessors/observers at local society level they can be of some use, especially for those of us that like using technology and digital devices. From my own personal point of view I found that the gathering of data/information that was possible didn’t match up with that which was required at my level and the compulsory reporting form I had to complete. (At the time, but I do know that it is yet again up for review.) Another personal problem was that unless I was using a large notebook the keypad was too small and also I couldn’t type fast enough to make notes. I’d be interested to know other people’s experiences of this aspect of the process.

I have been trailing it with games on the tv and a standard iPad (not the large A4 version) is absolutely fine. I wouldn't really want to use it with a smart phone, although a large screen one (iPhone 7 plus size) with a stylus would be ok. Solves the fat finger syndrome.

This app is designed to complete all the data (evidence) required in an RFU form 2/3, the watcher then just needs to fil in the narrative text. It certainly saves a lot of post match time spent adding up all the various penalties, scrums etc from written notes.

I don't think its something you can force on people and if watchers prefer to stick with their various pads, pencils and highlighters, then that's fine. Whatever works for them. We are looking to maybe entice some new watchers with the technology. Also if we go ahead we would purchase some Android tablets to install the App onto. That way they can be passed around if a watcher is on holiday (which you can't easily do if it's installed on their personal device), or loaned out to refs who are injured to do a few games. The Android tablets can be bought for less than £100 each.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
how much does the app cost? presumably £100 would buy quite a few copies ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
how much does the app cost? presumably £100 would buy quite a few copies ?

It's an annual licence, for Societies its £20 per copy per year. So 5 copies would cost the Society £100 per year, which is very reasonable.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's an annual licence, for Societies its £20 per copy per year. So 5 copies would cost the Society £100 per year, which is very reasonable.

interesting, my instinct would be that assessors would choose the app they like best (or no app at all) and buy it themselves (just like you buy your own whistle, boots, flags etc).

(Of course if a Society made an app mandatory, it might be different)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
interesting, my instinct would be that assessors would choose the app they like best (or no app at all) and buy it themselves (just like you buy your own whistle, boots, flags etc).

(Of course if a Society made an app mandatory, it might be different)

We have no intention of making it Mandatory, but we are trying to encourage more people to be watchers. We buy other things for Watchers. Coats, all weather clipboards, etc. In the same way that referees get kit and flags from us.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have no intention of making it Mandatory, but we are trying to encourage more people to be watchers. We buy other things for Watchers. Coats, all weather clipboards, etc. In the same way that referees get kit and flags from us.

interesting - we get free shirts, but generally buy the rest. (although you can earn credits)

I paid for my own shorts, socks, boots, whistles, flags (I lose a set of flags every season I reckon!), training top and my warm watching top.
I got my RC and YC free from the RFU when I did my ELRA :) (The RC is hardly used)

Oh, we got free polo shirt.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
interesting - we get free shirts, but generally buy the rest. (although you can earn credits)

I paid for my own shorts, socks, boots, whistles, flags (I lose a set of flags every season I reckon!), training top and my warm watching top.
I got my RC and YC free from the RFU when I did my ELRA :) (The RC is hardly used)

Oh, we got free polo shirt.

Our kit is sponsored, so we all get a complete set as part of that.