[Law] maul amendment - video

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
There was a couple of videos Ive seen (from world rugby? not sure) highlighting the amendments about the ball beign transferred in a maul... including the one about not being able to hand the ball over a bound player to somebody behind him.

anybody got a link for those videos? Ive googled but am having no luck, so am clearly not finding the correct google terms!

cheers

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I don't get the "long placements are to be avoided" example - how are the laws changing? At what point is a placement long?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
long placement means the ball holder cannot hand the ball over the back of a bound on player to a player behind him. If you look at the bottom video to the link above you'll see what I mean.

basically the ball carrier has to have the ball taken from him by somebody immediately adjacent to him etc

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
e.g.

4 jumps and catches
1 binds onto 4
6 binds one armed to 1.
4 hands the ball over 1's back to 6

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It'w a conspiracy to stop us tall 2nd rows using our height to our advantage.
Bloody law makers are all ex scrum halfs!!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For some time, "long placements" are something I have thought should be made illegal. They effectively prevent the opposing team from sacking or contesting the formation of a maul at a line-out. I even asked Craig Joubert about it on SA Referees a couple of years ago.

http://www.sareferees.com/ref-replies/duty-ref-470--craig-joubert/2829602/

The IRB Law Application Guidelines (Maul Working Group outcomes) state... 'The maul must be formed so that the opposition can contest the maul at the formation; this includes the formation of the maul at a line-out and from a maul formed after kick-offs or restart kicks.'

The lineout jumper cannot be tackled when his feet are off the ground, so if he is allowed to hand the ball back to a player beyond his two lifters, then he and those lifters are obstructing the opponents.