Maul Obstruction; the other IRB video

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's no obvious indication on that video about how this "maul obstruction" should be dealt with.

No helpful "this is now a penalty" or "this is perfectly OK"..

What is it?

The video gave lots of examples and it seems to me the forming of a maul at a lineout quite commonly produces the sort of obstruction identified in the video (many examples were from lineouts, of course).

What are we supposed to do? Warn then penalise? Ignore (as we've been doing so far)?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There's no obvious indication on that video about how this "maul obstruction" should be dealt with.

No helpful "this is now a penalty" or "this is perfectly OK"..

What is it?

The video gave lots of examples and it seems to me the forming of a maul at a lineout quite commonly produces the sort of obstruction identified in the video (many examples were from lineouts, of course).

What are we supposed to do? Warn then penalise? Ignore (as we've been doing so far)?

I watched the videos and thought that the white arrows/pause and then nothing happening (decision wise) was trying to show - look these elite guys are cocking it up :wow: , see if you can do better! :biggrin:

Or have I missed the point? :confused:

The ones from the lineouts can be tricky to spot but the most obvious one was the drop out by DC and SA catch it and set maul with 2/3 in front of ball carrier/catcher (was that Rolland reffing?) that was nailed on even to me at L9

What are they (the videos and or iRB) trying to achieve? :confused:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I watched the videos and thought that the white arrows/pause and then nothing happening (decision wise) was trying to show - look these elite guys are cocking it up :wow: , see if you can do better! :biggrin:

What are they (the videos and or iRB) trying to achieve? :confused:

My questions entirely.

The videos do illustrate obstruction.

Now what?

What are we supposed to do? Is this form of obstruction legal? Should it be penalised?

What!!???

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I think we need to wait until we have seen the guidance that goes with the videos. Remember these vids arent supposed to be in the public domain, they have been lifted from a so called secure site

Im expecting said guidance at the RFU Panel Conference on 11/12 July.

FWIW, i would go with scrum first time (accidental) and then progress up the chain as we normally would.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No doubt we will get all the necessary RFU materials in time for pre-season meetings for this issue, ruck fetcher ruling etc !

If not maybe we can use KML1's matches' DVDs again.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
god help us all!!