Maul turnovers and kicks

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Really confused performance from Garces today on this area.

First half he awarded a scrum to the wrong team because he forgot it was direct from a kick, only for red 9 to correct him and he changed his mind - ok, fine.

Second half he gives a scrum to the catcher's team after a kick from a dropout - 100% wrong, the laws specifically say that kickoffs and dropouts are exempt.

p.s. My 14 yr old son spotted it straight away, I completely missed it!

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

First half he awarded a scrum to the wrong team because he forgot it was direct from a kick, only for red 9 to correct him and he changed his mind - ok, fine.

Second half he gives a scrum to the catcher's team after a kick from a dropout - 100% wrong, the laws specifically say that kickoffs and dropouts are exempt.

the law is poorly worded but kick offs an DO's are specifically the situation where the catcher's team
will be awarded the scrum.

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
the law is poorly worded but kick offs an DO's are specifically the situation where the catcher's team
will be awarded the scrum.

Think you have that the wrong way round:-

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Scrum after a maul when catcher is held. [/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent’s kick, except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than 5 seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.[/FONT]

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I noticed maul from drop kick also .
Red 22 drop kick .
Black catch ball ,
Maul immediately formed & ball not come out .
Scrum red ball .

I also felt all black scrum half , over delayed putting ball into scrum .
Once he was in position to roll ball in .
He gained a good 8 seconds ,

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Think you have that the wrong way round:-

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Scrum after a maul when catcher is held. [/FONT][FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent’s kick, except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than 5 seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.[/FONT]

I do indeed. I guess from the restarts, the catcher can be afforded less protection as it is a set play. Although one might argue he might need more. I have had it wrong for a while!

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I do indeed. I guess from the restarts, the catcher can be afforded less protection as it is a set play. Although one might argue he might need more. I have had it wrong for a while!

You are not alone in not being clear on this one it would seem.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Anyone else find it useful to note "chapter and verse" when remembering Laws?
[LAWS]‪17.6‬ Unsuccessful end to a maul
(h) Scrum after a maul when catcher is held. If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent’s kick, except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than 5 seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.

‘Direct from an opponent’s kick’ means the ball did not touch another player or the ground before the player caught it.[/LAWS]

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

I think the law is the way it is because at restarts the kicking team are forced to kick it. In all other circumstances they elect to kick the ball, and they shouldn't benefit from a receiving player catching it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I spotted it, twice !

Not often a top tier referee makes a Law error in a game, twice, on the same Law !