Melbourne Rebel cited

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
a non-sensical citing imho.

does it pass the Red Card test ?

Z's legs beyond horizontal, but he then held Z up and didn't drive down.

at worst PK and technical YC for me

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
My initial reaction is that I don't know that it quite fits the criteria of a drive or a drop, but maybe it does. I would say it is right at the low end of the scale so I reckon 2 weeks at most.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'll say it again. What a mess they've made of the dangerous tackle law.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Of course he lifted him, of course his upper body hit ground first, but argueably not overly dangerous.

My advise is to constuct a defence along these lines ......

" When I lifted the player I expected him to stay upright, I was disappointed to see him deliberately go to ground. I didn't realise how heavy would be when moving. I regularly lift more than his weight in the gym and I can only assume the Lions have deliberately understated his weight in the official program that i read immediately before kick off. Notwithstanding this, there was a breeze coming across the pitch which unbalanced me was the main reason for my inability to hold the player up without dropping him on his upper torso.

I could see other Lions players arriving in an aggressive demeanor & I was bracing myself for their hit on me and this worsened my unbalancing as described earlier. I was moving at speed & experienced a strange sense of disorientation , the stadium stayed still. the advertising hoardings were closer than the fans & appeared to move in relation to the fans as I approached the tackle, The grass was infact not cut to a uniform length, some strands were up to 100% longer than others & this all magnified my disorientation.

My overidding position is that I did not intend to Lift him, not did I do it deliberately .....furthermore I am anticipating that the Judge will deliver this verdict consisitent with Horwill v Law 10.4 6.2013

Amazingly, there has been some advance leaking of the hearing ........... "After hearing all the evidence I could not find that when Lachlan Mitchell right & left hands came into inadvertent contact with Simon Zebo's legs , that he Mitchell was acting recklessly," judicial officer Nigel Hampton said in a statement after the hearing in Melbourne on Sunday.

"I found that I could not reject as being implausible or improbable Mitchell's explanation that as he was driving forward with his arms in the about to tackle position and he was slightly off balance through the direction that Zebo was moving & the threat of future impact of Lions players entering the tackle area from the opposite direction.

"In an endeavour to regain his balance Mitchell brought his right & left arm upwards in relation to the ground unknowing that Simon Zebo's torso was actually falling towards the ground, due to having his sight impeded & effected by the presence of the AR & the advertising hoardings & the crowd who were confusing & disorientating to him"

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I say we petition the IRB for a new directive on wheelbarrow tackles

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a non-sensical citing imho.

does it pass the Red Card test ?

Z's legs beyond horizontal, but he then held Z up and didn't drive down.

at worst PK and technical YC for me

Whatever you think Simon, its a stupid way to tackle when the ball carrier is inches from the touch line. A decent rib-tickler puts him into touch.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Whatever you think Simon, its a stupid way to tackle when the ball carrier is inches from the touch line. A decent rib-tickler puts him into touch.

If it was Vincent Clerc would the advice be to use a French rib-tickler?