Melbourne vs Brisbane

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
A position opened up in my company and I've been asked if it is something I would like to do. It would be in Melbourne (Deer Park) or Brisbane (Murarrie). Any thoughts about life in these two places?

Thanks!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Both are great cities. I like them both. But each is very different.

Melbourne (Victoria) is cold, wet and miserable but is the Mecca of sporting events. It is AFL (Aussie rules) country but rugby is getting more popular. Public transport is excellent (trams and trains). Best coffee baristas in the world. Hard to find a bad coffee. Also good eating strips! very multicultural. But it has DickieE!

Brisbane (Queensland) is hot and humid ( and too far from the beach if you ask me) so during summer months you're always wet and sticky as soon as you leave the comfort of air con. Oh - it also floods there a lot! It has the worst coffee in the world - it's hard to find a good one! It is league country and their whole existence is about winning state of origin. That is more important to them than good govt services! Pity it is plagued with queenslanders! They finish every sentence with "ay". Union plays 2nd fiddle to league. Great beaches north (sunshine coast) and south (gold coast).

Both cities are pretty safe, although they have their pockets of trouble spots. Either city is great, but if it was me I'd go to Brisbane.....but I love the sun and sea and am sick of the cold!

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thanks!

The coffee bit is a major factor for my wife. We had another opportunity in the US but the lack of coffee was a real downer. The cold and wet reminds me of Portland and Seattle. They are nice places but winters can get dreary quick. As for Brisbane, hot would be new for me but after a few beers I'll end all my sentences with "eh".

I'll see where this goes.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Melbourne, we are much better down here.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
My friend who spent 2 years in Sydney says:
It can be ****ing expensive.

I'd check out the COLA you get from the company....

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks!

The coffee bit is a major factor for my wife. We had another opportunity in the US but the lack of coffee was a real downer. The cold and wet reminds me of Portland and Seattle. They are nice places but winters can get dreary quick. As for Brisbane, hot would be new for me but after a few beers I'll end all my sentences with "eh".

I'll see where this goes.

Bear in mind that when we say cold it never gets below freezing.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
That would be a big culture shock. Woody probably lives in a McMansion here that costs 300K. I imagine that does not buy 5,000 sq ft overseas.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bear in mind that when we say cold it never gets below freezing.

Yeah but it's still bloody dreary!

You get more property for your buck in Brisbane....but not much more. And you don't need to wear skins when you ref in Brisbane....in fact you don't need to wear much. You can wear thongs if you want!:pepper::biggrin: (yep - both the Ozzie and yank versions are encouraged!)

Last edited:

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"cold"

Wikipedia, Melbourne, Climate. Record low: −2.8ºC

Australians....

Anyhow, I have a friend working in Australia. He is now in Adelaide, but he was for some time in Melbourne and really liked.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
A position opened up in my company and I've been asked if it is something I would like to do. It would be in Melbourne (Deer Park) or Brisbane (Murarrie). Any thoughts about life in these two places?

Thanks!
Both places are full of Australians. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your point of view. Before asking about the variances within Aussie cities, I think you need to ask whether a trip abroad would be a good thing in itself. I've never been to Aus, but I love Aussies. I love their free-thinking, laid-back, sports-oriented celebration of life. Personally, unless you have kids in critical years at school, I'd suggest you go. It might make you wonder in what way the US is really the Land of the Free, and is unlikely to be either a disappointment or a blot on your resume.

Go where the rugby is! What could be worse than having to watch Aussie Rules? (Answer: rugby league; but at least in Brisbane you can be reffing Union while that spawn of the Devil is on).

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
That would be a big culture shock. Woody probably lives in a McMansion here that costs 300K. I imagine that does not buy 5,000 sq ft overseas.

I did notice that a "starter" home is +300k so this is dependent on the COLA. The culture shock part would be hard but I believe my family could handle it. But regardless of what menace says, I don't like wearing thongs, both sorts.

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
It might make you wonder in what way the US is really the Land of the Free, and is unlikely to be either a disappointment or a blot on your resume.

Go where the rugby is! What could be worse than having to watch Aussie Rules? (Answer: rugby league; but at least in Brisbane you can be reffing Union while that spawn of the Devil is on).

As much as I share your sentiments, in some circles of the North American forest products industry it may not be a positive for one's resume because you went to help manufacturers that may import product into the US. This view comes primarily from the areas devastated by the inability of the federal government to craft a meaningful forest management program for the millions of acres of Western US timberlands. Fortunately my company does not hold such myopic views.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My children benefited from my two postings to the USA - when they were aged 4 and 7, and then again at 16 and 19. It wasn't always plain sailing, but on balance it was worth it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Im sure the decision is not an easy one but one last piece of advice...Just leave your guns at home .....you're not allowed them here...and we feel much safer for it. If you feel you can't sleep without your gun, then best not come to Oz.

Ps you'll get used to thongs, don't knock 'em until you try it....both sorts!:holysheep::pepper: