Merry Christmas

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So my Christmas present from Santa this year was a quadruple bypass surgery. Very little warning signs in the lead up to going under the knife.
This is no fun.
Rugby refs are generally middle aged guys staying in the game by taking up the whistle.
Look after yourselves and if you fitness changes to where you’re even just a little more breathless than normal, get a check up. I wouldn’t wish this experience on anyone and the alternative is quite permanent they tell me.
Have a happy and safe Christmas with your family and friends

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Quick and painless recovery mate. All our best wishes from Alexandria, Virginia

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I hope you are well enough to get some pleasure out of Christmas Day. At least you are still around! Take it easy.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
So my Christmas present from Santa this year was a quadruple bypass surgery. Very little warning signs in the lead up to going under the knife.
This is no fun.
Rugby refs are generally middle aged guys staying in the game by taking up the whistle.
Look after yourselves and if you fitness changes to where you’re even just a little more breathless than normal, get a check up. I wouldn’t wish this experience on anyone and the alternative is quite permanent they tell me.
Have a happy and safe Christmas with your family and friends

i second this. i had a routine blood pressure check at the doc in early November, only to be told it was 180/120 (which turned into 180/130 the following morning). two months of very limited fun later, and i'm feeling rather different. plus the mrs tells me i've lost weight (well, technically she said i'm less of a fat b*stard), which i suppose is a good thing.

at least some the low-alcohol (<1%) beer is pretty good - Ghost Ship, Sole Star and Nanny State all recommended, Becks Blue not so much. i appreciate that this intel may not help you on your side of the world, or bearing in mind what day it it!

hope all goes well with you.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I take nothing for granted anymore. 6 years ago I found myself in hospital operated and then in a coma. No warning. Felt bad on the Friday night Hospital on the Monday Op on the Wednesday then an induced coma and a second opp three days later. 6 months recovery reffing after another two. One of those things no nee to chang my lifestyle.

YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS. LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS!

OH and HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERONE! Seen later in the week!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
None of those things has happened to me (yet) but best wishes for getting off sick parade and a Merry Christmas to all.

And a big happy birthday to Drift for today. How good is that ... double presents!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow Fat...hope all is on the mend. Enjoy the carrot and celery sticks! Alcohol, smoking and fatty processed foods are all over-rated anyway! Bacon, ham, and pork crackling are not...keep enjoying gods greatest food achievement....especially today!

Merry Xmas all. May your whistle be blown and kept clean.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
and Alastair Cook. remember him?

:biggrin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Merry Christmas to you all, and especially to you The Fat; take it real easy this Christmas.

PS: Will you be changing your username to "The Skinny" :biggrin:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Merry Christmas to you all, and especially to you The Fat; take it real easy this Christmas.

PS: Will you be changing your username to "The Skinny" :biggrin:
I’ll certainly trying for the name change Ian.
My little experience has certainly put the wind up a few of my mates. It’s been a good wake up call for some of them as in my case there were really none of the “classic” symptoms obvious. Lots of blokes would have kept pushing on just thinking they may have needed to up their fitness level a bit. In my case, going to my doctor and insisting to his receptionist I needed an earlier appointment has saved my life.
I could live with being known, like we affectionally do in Australia, as a skinny pri.k

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am concerned that 2018 Christmas should be identical to 2017 Christmas

Happy Christmas to all

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Belated Festive greetings to my fellow referees and advisors/coaches/mentors/assessors/orwhateverelseyouarecalledthisseason.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable and are know back to training :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Belated Festive greetings to my fellow referees and advisors/coaches/mentors/assessors/orwhateverelseyouarecalledthisseason.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable and are know back to training :)
Do I detect traces of Christmas spirit?!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Apologies for the delay.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all especially The Fat. Get well soon.