motorbikes

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
any bikers out there?

thinking of a Boneville, newish, but I hear conflicting reports about quality of build, especially the chrome. My fallback is a Tiger, but I hear the 1050 is not a better bike than the 955. So I thought of going for reliability and looked at a Fazer S2, bit of a range I know, but I am looking for a bit of fun, and the odd trip or two to the west country.

anyone have any thoughts?

Anthony

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have had a few bikes

Ducati 748
Ducati 916
Triumph Speed Triple
Kwak ZXR

Do you want new or used?

The Yamaha Fazer is a really nice bike, I test rode a FZX, the XJ is nice as well, but less sporty.

For me reliability wise was the Suzuki Bandit, awesome, but dont know about current Suzukis.

My brother has a Honda hornet, and it is gorgeous, not a bit of bother with it.

Dont know what I would go for when replacing mine, more than likely a Triumph Street Triple, or even another Speed Triple could even possibly stretch to a Buell 1125R or the City X

Just test ride loads and loads and make your own mind up, loved some bikes on paper, but they just didnt feel right for me.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Colt,

I would suggest that you need to decide what you want from the bike first, since you have suggested such a wide variety.

If its the Tiger you are looking at then the BMW GS is the natural alternative. It can be quite sporty - we have a guy in our IAM group who sets quite a pace round Snetterton :wow: - but don't try taking it through a stream.

If sports bike is what you are after, then the world is your oyster.

How long have you been riding, and held a licence.

If you want to talk more you can contact me off list.

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just ask on somewhere like visordown and you will get some good advice. As becket50 says you need to decide exactly what you want from the bike first. There is so much choice now and it is a buyers market.
I run a 50cc scooter around town and a 900 Diversion for longer journeys, club meets/runs and commuting. Horses for courses.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
nearly 40 years since I rode a bike - I don't expect my old BSA B31 350cc solid back-end would cut the mustard these days, it was over for 20 years old then. Though my mate's old 650 Bonneville with 10:1 heads on it went quite well. He had megaphone exhausts on it, I could hear when he came down the hill and changed down to turn into my road, and be out ready when he came up the drive.

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have a K1200S BMW
Go to most of the Soc games on it... not the exchanges though :)

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Extra excited as now I'm in a place with good weather year round I'm going to treat myself to a motorbike. I've wanted one for years and have decided that my new bike will be a Kawasaki 2008/9 Ninja 250R. Looks like it fits my needs perfectly and only $4000:)

F

florachristi

I have yamaha razor bike its new and good to drive to i love him very him,,,,,,,

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have yamaha razor bike its new and good to drive to i love him very him,,,,,,,
All three of his posts so far are anodyne comments like this. I think he is only posting to advertise via his signature. Candidate for removal? Perhaps we should just remove his signature?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All three of his posts so far are anodyne comments like this. I think he is only posting to advertise via his signature. Candidate for removal? Perhaps we should just remove his signature?

anodyne = analgesic :confused:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let him stay. 3 interventions in 3 weeks is hardly irritating. He's not forcing anyone to click the link, and he's not said anything untoward or blatantly advertised his wares. His comments may be anodyne, but they are relevant to the discussion, showing that he's read the thread. many of us who come to this site as tentative newbies are reticent at first, and reluctant to engage pithily. Chill!:cool:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
anodyne = analgesic :confused:
It has a metaphorical meaning as well.
"preventing, soothing or avoiding argument, criticism, or controversy; harmless, bland, innocent." Chambers

There was an early natural language program called ELIZA which essentially fed back what the user had said. His posts have that same quality, and might be seen as a good way of getting under the radar. He gives no indication of having any rugby background or interest.

I have raised the question because I doubt his bona fides, but I am not certainly going to do anything unilaterally.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It has a metaphorical meaning as well.
"preventing, soothing or avoiding argument, criticism, or controversy; harmless, bland, innocent." Chambers

There was an early natural language program called ELIZA which essentially fed back what the user had said. His posts have that same quality, and might be seen as a good way of getting under the radar. He gives no indication of having any rugby background or interest.

I have raised the question because I doubt his bona fides, but I am not certainly going to do anything unilaterally.

Ah, I see.

"preventing, soothing or avoiding argument, criticism, or controversy" - should be a refreshing change :D

N

Nick

Extra excited as now I'm in a place with good weather year round I'm going to treat myself to a motorbike. I've wanted one for years and have decided that my new bike will be a Kawasaki 2008/9 Ninja 250R. Looks like it fits my needs perfectly and only $4000:)
With the deepest respect I would suggest you first get solidly nailed down that we all drive on the other side of the road for a while before getting a motorcycle. I'd hate to see you become someone's hood ornament so early in your residency this side of the pond because you looked the wrong way first out of habit. I almost became the hood ornament of a tour bus in front of St. Pancras station because I was looking the wrong way (despite the big letters in the cross walk saying LOOK RIGHT).

Nick
(yes, not a motorcycle rider:eek: )

P.S. I can't believe I'm participating in a thread on motorcycles since I wouldn't know a Ninja from a Nighthawk.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It wasn't driving on the right-hand side that confused my wife, but her instinctive understanding of the terms right and left. For her, a right turn was across the traffic, so if I said we needed to turn right, she would turn left. Her driving was perfectly safe -just going in the wrong direction.