Mouth Guard

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe because there is no real evidence that they have any impact on concussions.
From the British Journal of Sports Medicine
The ability of mouthguards to protect against head and spinal injuries in sport falls into the realm of “neuromythology” rather than hard science.32 Reading the original studies cited as evidence for this effect reveals anecdotal claims that can best be described as bizarre rather than reflecting established medical principles. It is unlikely that a mouthguard would offer effective protection against brain or spinal cord injury, and the limited published data are not compelling in this regard nor does it accord with the known pathophysiology of such injuries.

Now if we were talking about injuries to the teeth and gums, then there is a valid point to be made.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Now if we were talking about injuries to the teeth and gums, then there is a valid point to be made.[/FONT][/COLOR]

also - vitally - protecting other people -- i heard of a ref who pulled a player's tooth out of another player's scalp :)

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
also - vitally - protecting other people -- i heard of a ref who pulled a player's tooth out of another player's scalp :)
Agreed.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have a friend who still has a large scar below his bottom lip where his top set of teeth went through the skin and met his bottom set of teeth the otherside as his herculean efforts to tackle a flying wedge on his own proved an unwise decision. The injury happend in an under 15 game in the early 1980s. The school made gumshields mandatory after that.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
They are mandatory in NZ at every level below Super Rugby.

Realistically they are mandatory at all levels. Ardie Savea is an idiot for not wearing one.

I played in the late 90's and early 2000's. I would not have dreamed of playing without one.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
They are mandatory in NZ at every level below Super Rugby.

Realistically they are mandatory at all levels. Ardie Savea is an idiot for not wearing one.

I played in the late 90's and early 2000's. I would not have dreamed of playing without one.

What happens if you discover a player does not have a mouth guard during play? Is there a PK? Card? Stop the match or play down a man while getting it out of the kit bag? Mandatory substitution? Something else?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
For age grade rugby here we check before the game.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
What happens if you discover a player does not have a mouth guard during play? Is there a PK? Card? Stop the match or play down a man while getting it out of the kit bag? Mandatory substitution? Something else?
I am now an ex referee.

However my understanding is that the rule changed a season or two ago. Now it is a yellow card. I understand that there is an unwritten rule that if a player from the other team points it out, the player is not yellow carded but must leave the field to get the mouthguard.

Active referees might know more than me.