Move to limit the distance the ball travels through the air

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I see the R&A are changing the specification of a golf ball, to rein in tee shots by the top golfers.

Do we think the IRB should do the same, to reduce the yardage gained through kicking and to encourage more running rugby?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
TPTB within golf are mandating changes to equipment to enforce such changes. Rugby doesn't have the same knobs to turn to attempt such a change.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
true - but ... CF the head gear stuff about kite marks etc.
Presumably WR/NGBs could have a regulation/law that a ball must conform to WR mark X which stipulates <whatever it is would minimise length of kick etc >

Pinky2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Make the minimum weight of the ball a bit more and it would reduce the distance that can be kicked and make carrying it more beneficial. Make it as heavy as a medicine ball and no one would be able to kick it at all!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... or as light "as a feather" and it would have very little momentum./..

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Quite simple. Bring back leather balls!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Make the minimum weight of the ball a bit more and it would reduce the distance that can be kicked and make carrying it more beneficial. Make it as heavy as a medicine ball and no one would be able to kick it at all!
It works for Lelo:
The match ball is round and made of leather, filled with grass, horsehair or sheep's wool. It weighs 2.5 kg and is 85-90 cm long.
No kicking in Lelo. Or long passes.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I feel that there is a lot of data to assess and understand but we do not seem to be seeing what has been captured or how it is being interpreted:
The Rugby Revolution.

This exciting new collaboration is centred around unlocking deep performance and fan engagement insights from the Gilbert smart rugby ball

The Gilbert smart rugby ball communicates with wireless beacons around the pitch enabling powerful augmented reality graphics which can power on-screen real-time match stats such as kick distance, pass distance and territory gained and presented across broadcast and digital channels.
Perhaps effective capture and analysis of this data should be undertaken before any decisions are taken on the form of the ball.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not sure I follow, can you please provide some powerful augmented reality graphics to help me?
Not me mate, there's geeks that might but it seems not to be in use, unless someone knows different.

I do know that Frawley kicked a minter penalty goal to get a clear win for Leinster over La Rochelle, it seemed as they were close to no side it would just run the clock down but he slotted a beauty:

Should we be messing with the ball to inhibit that kind of skill? That said if we can do anything to reduce the number of wasteful kicks some English 10s offer that would be a massive improvement.

Coming back the the Leinster v La Rochelle game it must also be said that Matt Carley was severely tested by 2 teams who were carrying quite a few left over niggles and unsettled scores from previous games. Under extreme pressure from both teams he did well to maintain control in a game of great intensity.