Munster v Sale - 3rd try

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Right after the restart. Red 7 tackled around the legs and brought to kneeling on the ground. Gets released, stands up, runs to the line and scores. As far as I could see, he didn't release the ball. :(

Edit: better thread for this is Was It Right?

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree. Nigel picked up and penalised several of those, but that one went begging - a rare aberration in an otherwise excellent game by Mr Owens, to complement the excellent game by Munster. Having said that from my armchair, it was a very close call - the tackler had slid down to the ankles, and it was easy to judge that the player's momentum prior to hitting the deck took him free of the tackler before he was decked.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Same game, Nigel educated the Sale (and probably Munster) players about the application of Law 17.6. Munster kick-off, Sale player wrapped up on catching it, maul forms, unsuccessful end (though in truth O'Connell had snaffled it). Nigel gives the scrum to Munster, to the outrage of Sale who felt the turnover was unwarranted as the maul formed direct from a catch. "It was from a kick-off" warbles Nigel, in that wonderful lilting manner of his. "That and a drop-out are exceptions! Red ball".

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Right after the restart. Red 7 tackled around the legs and brought to kneeling on the ground. Gets released, stands up, runs to the line and scores. As far as I could see, he didn't release the ball. :(

Edit: better thread for this is Was It Right?

I agree, I thought he was tackled and did not release.