RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referee Report Form 2011-12

Name RugbyGeek LEVEL 10
Game Level Level 9
Home Team Blue 35pts v Red 0pts

Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee
With Red short of front row players, the match was reduced to non-contested scrums right from the start. Although it took Blue some time to get going, once they had built up a lead, there was only going to be one winner. There were many unforced errors and in truth, the passing left a lot to be desired. However, the players clearly enjoyed the match and but for one high tackle there was no foul play of note and little in the way of niggle.

RugbyGeek must be congratulated for keeping the game going and in particular, managing the non-contested scrums. He kept up an almost continuous dialogue with the players in an effort to stop them from transgressing as well as encouraging them. For the most part he was successful; talking “to” them rather than “at” them. Decisions were well explained and everyone was left in little doubt where they stood. Perhaps RugbyGeek could however, vary the tone of his verbal communication, to avoid players “shutting off”. More specific and short and sharp commands e.g. “red two move away”, could be more effective. His hand signals were by and large appropriate although perhaps they could be a little more exaggerated.

The match was managed without the need for yellow cards. However, the rising penalty count, especially at the tackle, in the third and fourth quarters as the players tired, suggested that further sanctions were necessary, or at least the threat of them. Nevertheless, it must be stated that the overall penalty count was not excessive.

RugbyGeek was in the right position to make the critical decisions during the game. However, I would like to see more evidence of a sprint pace and feel he should move off quicker from one phase of play to the next and thus not let play get a way from him.

Despite the above, I feel RugbyGeek provided evidence that he is certainly capable of doing games at this level.

Please outline up to three areas for improvement (using Key Components) and OFFER SOLUTIONS
LINE-OUT: RugbyGeek needs to change his positioning here. He tends to stand at the back rather too often. This rather cuts down his view of what is going on at the front. If he stands more to the side, this will widen his angle of vision. Furthermore, standing right at the back of the line-out means you are in danger of getting in the way of the ball when it is thrown “over the top” as well as being nowhere near play should the players break around the front of the line-out.

When you are at the back, you should stand level with the No 6 (on the side of the team throwing in). Adopt a stance such that you are at an angle and can easily view the defending three quarters in order to check that they are not creeping up offside. You should aim to stand at the front for 60% or 70% of the line-outs whilst at the same time making sure that you are not being too predictable to the players. Whilst at the front, it is important that you move off early (i.e. a fraction of a second after the ball leaves the thrower’s hands) in order to get to the next breakdown quickly. Judging not straight can be done by noting the position of the player catching the ball rather than following the flight of the ball in the air. You are interested in the contest for the ball and should focus on the catching and supporting players in order to detect especially, the across the line offences.

MAUL/RUCK: Having located the ball RugbyGeek took up a good position to one side and just behind the back foot of the attacking side (unless in close proximity to the try line). However, he remained stationary there and when play broke, he often had quite a lot of ground to make up.

RugbyGeek must be prepared to be perpetually on the move and thus circulate the mauls and rucks more. Don’t be afraid to rubber neck and make sure the two sets of backs see you doing it. Varying your position makes you less predictable and thus players are less likely to risk being penalised. In addition, by moving off the mark you are less likely to be caught out of position if the play breaks quickly on the blind side.

Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match
ADVANTAGE: Sound interpretation of advantage. RugbyGeek was clearly looking to play advantage at every opportunity. When necessary, he came back when neither a tactical nor territorial advantage had been gained. He also blew quickly when it was clear that no advantage was going to accrue. This encouraged the running rugby which contributed to the player’s enjoyment. Players were kept well informed on the progress of advantage,
KICKS/OPEN PLAY: No problems here. RugbyGeek was able to keep up with play, thus ensuring that players retired out of the 10 metre zone with appropriate verbal communication. No offsides were missed as far as I could ascertain. He was generally in the right place to make the appropriate decisions and nor did not seem that he missed any knock-ons or forward passes. He got to the goal line quickly when the need arose.

Name of advisor
(Block Capitals) XXXXX
Please assess the referees match Management MD

POTENTIAL (Please X the appropriate box.)
This referee is capable of refereeing at the next level of game

This referee is correctly graded at this level X

This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not too bad for my 1st assessment, I thought...Could be wrong, of course :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Good work, sounds like you had a decent game.

The advice is also typical of that given to referees in their early learning stage. All of it needs considering and acting upon.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done. And any L9 match is a challenge, so double well done.

A typical first assessment for a referee with potential to progress and as he learns the techniques climb up the grades.

Classic issues -

signals and tones - more showmanship needed - management & communication is crucial for you in the future
continuous dialogue worries me - you are not a comentator or coach - keep your communications short, sharp and relevant
up on toes and "happy feet" at rucks / mauls - keep moving !
get isolated and static - anticipate the next play !
need more of sprint pace - this wil really benefit you, as you should be third person at each place of contact
never stay at rear of line outs - front for 70-80% and always for first three or four. International Refs have appointed ARs to watch the front for them, you do not !

Great foundation to build on - keep it up.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well done. MD at a grade above is good.

Many of those comments could have been lifted from my reports! Nice to see assessors being consistent.

RugbyGeek

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for all the comments guys - I was really happy with the assessment...

as an aside, in SA we have appointed AR's for all 1st team games - which accounts for my lineout positioning. Although I only ever reffed unofficially, the AR's were typically really helpful ;-)