My first match (at last)

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
After weather difficulties and flooded pitches, I finally got my first game this morning reffing my home club U15s. Hard fought low scoring match. I must confess to having been extremely nervous and anything better than ‘car crash’ would have been fine with me. As it happens, both coaches were complimentary and the opposition coach asked for my number as he’s often short of refs and wondered if I might be able to help out from time to time. At that point, I confessed that it was my first match and asked for feedback. ‘I can do better than that’ he said as he introduced me to his friend who had been watching the match, an assessor no less. Assessor thought I’d had a decent match.

I’d worried more about positioning than anything else but found it wasn’t an issue at all. I did have some difficulties at rucks – I could have pinged both sides at every ruck I guess for some offence or other – but if the ball was clearly won and coming back on one side, I tended to let it go which both coaches appreciated.

Relieved my first match is over and now reflecting on what I can learn from it. Onwards and upwards!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Well done Colesy, sounds like you enjoyed it.

Glad you got the only game in the world with complimentary coaches :)

Seriously most coaches recognise what referees are bringing to the game (at least after the whilstle goes to end the game)

Also glad you were able to get feedback from a referee coach - I know they call them assessors on here, but they (we) are called "coaches" in Scotland for a reason, which is to be there to help the referee develop and become a better and happier referee. This website (and the folks on here) do that a lot too.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
what worked for me when I started was to take my score card and write all my law questions, issues, comments, ideas - anything I could think of on the back after every match. then prior to my next match I would review my last few cards and jot down motivational ideas like, "I'm going to beat the back row to every breakdown..." and goals like, "turn my shoulders to face the goal line more than last match..." nothing too absolute and nothing too specific. do NOT pick out a penalty du jour...think big picture and what YOU can do better to make it a better match.

hope that helps.

added: big congrats to you too! my first match I sent a coach to his car...

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
My first game I let a guy run at, and then through me and score a try. I allowed it.

Hopefully the coach persuaded you to join the a society.

Well done!

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Hopefully the coach persuaded you to join the a society.

Well done!

I already have but I don't have a senior appointment until March, a deliberate choice to allow me to some time to get my eye in first.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I did have some difficulties at rucks – I could have pinged both sides at every ruck I guess for some offence or other – but if the ball was clearly won and coming back on one side, I tended to let it go which both coaches appreciated.

That's a good call. If an offence becomes repetitive you can have a chat on the run or at the next breakdown: "Red 7, that's twice you've been slow to release the ball carrier. More effort please to roll away". He then knows he's been spotted but continuity of play hasn't been broken.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
What Society have you joined (Hoping it's the one I'm missing as no one seems to know what all the Scottish Societies are).

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
What Society have you joined (Hoping it's the one I'm missing as no one seems to know what all the Scottish Societies are).

I can't help with the 'missing' Scottish Society I'm afraid - although I'm Scottish, I've been exiled in England for the last 27 years so just a little out of touch.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
I see, so what society are you joining?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Ah, this is one of the club associations again isn't it.

Good stuff!