Nausea-cam

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was I the only person to get vertigo every time the BBC switched to the overhead bot-cam during play in the Eng v Wales game yesterday?

Seemed to be better in the 2nd half. Not sure if the producer used it less or my inner-ear sensitivity had been dampened with alcohol.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I hated it. I can see the advantage for replays, but in real time the switch of perspective did nothing to add clarity, and only achieved the sickening effect you describe.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I liked it. It was particularly interesting to see the scrums from above!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
seeing as how this was the first nonUSA match I watched I liked it.
It gave me a different perspective that I don't see while reffing or playing.
In the USA they might have 3-4 cameras one on each try line, one at 50m and one up about 30 ft above pitch at 50m

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I disliked it intensly, the perspectve shift served only to confuse momentarily, and whilst it could give an enhanced view of some elements, like scrums, and the wide back line, it might help if used for replays.

It's hard enough as it is to keep a consistent view of offside lines, without swinging rond all the time.

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
3 - 2 against nausea-cam at the moment. How do I set-up a pole for a more scientific and statistically meaningfull view? :chin:

ps For replays / analysis I think it is very good and has lots of potential to help explain the game; just not during general play, particularly as it was totally unexpected and the grass changed from one shade of green to another!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
How do I set-up a pole for a more scientific and statistically meaningfull view?

Firstly, you take the pole to the back garden, dig a small hole and then with the careful use of four attached guy ropes secured to tent pegs, you can make a decent job of getting it all set up. You should then get a pretty good view from the top.

Bronze Whaler

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't use a straw pole , they're not robust enough. And if you're using 4 guys make sure they're not poles either, Czech carefully first.:D

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
... with the careful use of four attached guy ropes secured to tent pegs, you can make a decent job of getting it all set up. You should then get a pretty good view from the top.

Looks like you have read the operating instructions for the "nausea-cam".

:)

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Wasn't it last year in the Ireland-France game that the Irish SH tried a box kick from a lineout and it hit one of those cams?

I'm not sure that it was that specific play or not but I do remember it happening. As a matter of fact, I was watching the replay last week and remember the announcers commenting on it.

They were surprised, as was I, that play wasn't blown up and restarted with a scrum. I realise that there is nothing within the laws about such a happening but feel that it should be treated the same as the ball hitting the ref as it is a non-player above the field of play.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
3 - 2 against nausea-cam at the moment. How do I set-up a pole for a more scientific and statistically meaningfull view? :chin:
When you start a new thread, underneath the normal text box there is another box labelled "Additional Options".

The bottom one of the 4 options is a "Post a Poll" section. Tick the box and choose how many options you want - the default number is 4, and the maximum is 10. A friendly word of warning for you though: Choose your options carefully, because you won't be able to edit them even though you can edit the general text. Don't ask me how I now. :eek:

Look forward to the 1st poll. :wink:

Last edited:

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I assumed it was for the 3D viewers especially. It was very bad at goal kicks - the only view I want is where I can see if it's going in or not.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
They use that view all the time for gridiron. The difference is the camera is a lot higher. Four towers in the four corner of the stadium lift up the wires that hold the camera. Maybe that contributed to the nausea.

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was I the only person to get vertigo every time the BBC switched to the overhead bot-cam during play in the Eng v Wales game yesterday?

Seemed to be better in the 2nd half. Not sure if the producer used it less or my inner-ear sensitivity had been dampened with alcohol.

I've had a bot cam. I don't recommend it and indeed the pictures are somewhat nauseating.:eek:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like the "bot-cam" for replays only.

I do not like the way rugby is being covered at the moment, as regards the continual changes of camera angle.

In a couple of the test matches in the most recent Autumn Internationals, I counted up to seven camera/angle changes over an eight second period of play from the ball coming out of a scrum/ruck/maul to the try being scored. In one case, the producer did such a good job of outsmarting himself, he actually missed the try being scored in real time, and we only saw it in replay.

There is no need for it. Stay on just the half way wide angle and zoom camera during the live play, then use the fancy angles and sideline cameras during replays or while waiting for scrums & lineouts to form.

I don't know what your SKY TV is like in UK, but we get Discovery and Nat Geo sourced from Australia and the USA, and they have it even worse in their programme promos, with the constant rapid-fire flashing up of shots.... flash - flash - flash - flash - flash... sometimes as many as 50 shots in a 30 second promo. Sometimes watching it makes me feel nauseous.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm with Ian.

I got the distinct impression of an inexperienced production crew, rugby wise, with some new toys to play with who allowed their enthusiasm for the tech to run away with them.