Neath vs Cambridge University - Brian Thomas Memorial match

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last weekend I traveled up to Neath to watch my son play in the above match to commemorate the life and playing career of a true legend of Neath rugby.

For those of you who have never heard of Neath, Buck Shelford at one of his after dinner speeches said that along with Llanelli, it was one of the hardest clubs he ever played against.

Taken from the match day programme - “ Brian won his Blue (3) at Cambridge and, as a “hard core” lock forward he won the first of his 21 caps for Wales against England in 1963 and the following season he scored an international try against Scotland in the Cardiff Arms Park mud. He toured South Africa in 1964 and New Zealand, Australia and Fiji in 1969 with Wales, But he was unaccountably overlooked for the 1966 Lions tour to New Zealand when it was reckoned he was considered “too confrontational” - my, how those vanquished Lions missed him in a 4 - nil Test series defeat!”

Cambridge University squad included 8 Blues from team who lost to Oxford before Christmas. Neath are going through a rebuilding process so the young team needed to be at the top of their game if they were to secure a win against the University

Top brass were there from WRU including Denis Gethin. After a minute’s round of applause a young Daniel Jones blew his whistle and the game kicked off in driving rain and strong winds.

Credit to both sides for producing a great game of rugby which Brian would have been proud of with Neath eventually won 29 - 5.

Full report can be found on http://www.neathrugby.co.uk/News/Article/32608
Everyone in the clubhouse afterwards were full of compliments about Daniel’s excellent refereeing of this game which included managing a good punch up between the two front 5’s! He is one to look out for in the future.

Brian’s friends and past Neath and Wales players included Brian Price, Paul Thorburn, Dai (The Shadow) Morris, Ron Waldron, Dai Parker, Alan Bateman etc.

Tony Lewis - Glamorgan, England and Sky Cricket Pundit said a few words and recounted how he and Brian set off for Cambridge on the train when Brian was 19 and how they became great friends over the years.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match and being in the company of men who played this great game for little financial reward and went to work on Monday down the local pit or managing the local steelworks.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Daniel Jones was a young 14 year old that I refereed at the start of my reffing career. He was a tidy enough no 8 . So I was a little surprised to see him give up and go straight to the whistle. Obviously he saw my skills and thought: "I'd like a go at that" Or more probably: "I could do better!" I've never asked him whether or not I was his inspiration. He's one of the WRU fast track youngsters and he is getting very good reviews indeed.

He's now a Metropolitan Police officer. So those of you up in London may well see more of him as his reffing career develops.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... For those of you who have never heard of Neath, Buck Shelford at one of his after dinner speeches said that along with Llanelli, it was one of the hardest clubs he ever played against.
Sounds a cracking night.

The District U15 boys I "manage" had a Dewar Shield game on The Gnoll a few months ago, and as they had only started playing after regional rugby came in, the vast majority had never heard of the famous ground. Thinking I was being helpful, I went onto Youtube to find some games on the famous pitch they will be playing on. Believe it or not, the only one I could find was this one. I hope I never ever have one like it. :sad:

http://youtu.be/JUzwdZYOsEU

I've spoken to people who were at the game, and they confirmed that it was brutal from start to finish.

Last edited:

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
At Brian's funeral there were many stories told and the one I remember was by Clive Rowland. Prince Charles had asked to meet with the Welsh players before a Wales vs England game and to see what they ate prior to the match.

John Dawes had cherry and an egg. Gareth Edwards and Dai Watkins had Fish'n Chips and Brian Thomas was eating black grapes. At this point Prince Charles enquired Mr Thomas why do you eat grapes before a game?

Brian said" Your Royal Highness, grapes before the game..... meat during!!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
And the winner of this year's Every Breath You Take Award for Not Listening To The Words Of The Song You're Using is...
I'm deeply touched. In accepting this award, I would like to thank my wife, kids, the old granny next door who looks after my bins and my milkman. I couldn't have achieved it all without your help, and love you all .... sorry, I'm .... welling up here. :biggrin:

Can you make out what was said? I've listened to it twice, and the only words I think I heard were "Everyones doin it". And I definately wouldn't even put my house on that. :sad:

I found the original BBC report of Brian Thomas passing away. See HERE

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
White riot - I wanna riot
White riot - a riot of my own

Black man gotta lot a problems
But they don't mind throwing a brick
White people go to school
Where they teach you how to be thick

An' everybody's doing
Just what they're told to
An' nobody wants
To go to jail!

All the power's in the hands
Of people rich enough to buy it

While we walk the street
Too chicken to even try it

Everybody's doing
Just what they're told to
Nobody wants
To go to jail!

Are you taking over
Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards
Or are you going forwards?

Strummer/Jones/Simonen/Heddon

I like the bit on the video of a striken Kevin Philips being aided by the physio as a brawl goes on behind him. Couple of shots of lightweight (but very strong) prop Brian Williams (RIP) falling over.

It makes you wonder why James Dalton was sent off in the RWC 1995.......he was such an easy going bloke.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was having a pop at whoever uploaded the video - the song's pretty clearly all about how white people are not, in fact, rioting.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks Taff many tributes to a great man both on and off the field.

To end on a positive note have a look at the BBC highlights of the 1960 Varsity match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5c42jbFuko

love the referee's kit:clap:

Thanks for that.

That was very interesting - the mark called from the Drop Out by the Cambridge "Number 8" (by the commentator) who was wearing 14.

Was the "Rugby League" type numbering an Oxbridge idiosyncrasy (along with spying and buggery) or more widespread then?

They ran and formed the scrums like their lives depended on it!!

One can smell the Brylcream and Dubbin from here.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... They ran and formed the scrums like their lives depended on it!
I was just thinking the same. Have a look how quick the scrum forms at 1min 50 seconds.

I reckon it was just 5 - 6 seconds from the whistle. :holysheep:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Thanks for that.

That was very interesting - the mark called from the Drop Out by the Cambridge "Number 8" (by the commentator) who was wearing 14.

Was the "Rugby League" type numbering an Oxbridge idiosyncrasy (along with spying and buggery) or more widespread then?

They ran and formed the scrums like their lives depended on it!!

One can smell the Brylcream and Dubbin from here.

No. For many years Scotland's full back was no 1

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
While Tiger's used letters conventionally, so the ABC club was the front row, didn't Bristol letter their full back as A.
Bath of course traditionally never played a 13.

But in the interest of making the game understandable - all these traditions have been banished by unions applying IRB international regulations.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Taff many tributes to a great man both on and off the field.

To end on a positive note have a look at the BBC highlights of the 1960 Varsity match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5c42jbFuko

love the referee's kit:clap:

hang on, who's that playing scrum half for Cambridge?

I love the scrum at 3:00
- it forms and wheels and the scrum half and the referee together give it a shove to straighten it up.
- ball goes in cambridge hook it and the oxford flanker unbinds and stands up
- it seems like the offside line for all oxford players is the ball ??? as the flanker and fly half are both very close ..... but still completely miss the cambridge scrum half when he goes for a run.

Last edited:

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Has the game improved since 1960? I'm not sure. Some great handling skills and goal kicking bearing in mind the type of ball used in those days.