New ARU Competition

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/10650/Default.aspx

National Rugby Championship set to excite fans and develop elite players in 2014 and beyond

Australian Rugby Union today announced it will launch a new domestic Rugby competition in 2014, the National Rugby Championship.

Australian Rugby Union CEO Bill Pulver said the competition will be an exciting spectacle for fans and will enhance the pathway to develop elite players, coaches and match officials.

The competition will be sponsored by FOX SPORTS and Foxtel, with FOX SPORTS set to televise one live match per round plus the semi-finals and final.

Mr Pulver said in addition to providing additional broadcast content, the National Rugby Championship will generate extra revenue for Rugby.

“This is a major vote of confidence in Australian Rugby. This competition, which will include 8-10 teams from major population centres from across Australia, will also offer the opportunity to introduce innovative rules to the game to improve the spectacle for our fans,” said Mr Pulver.

“The National Rugby Championship will run annually at the end of Super Rugby and club Rugby seasons from August to October as a way of complementing existing competitions such as the important Premier Rugby competitions in Sydney and Queensland.

“It will also be self-funded thanks to the support of FOX SPORTS and Foxtel.

“This new competition will be a tremendous opportunity for Rugby fans to support teams from across the country in a local competition that we hope will rival New Zealand’s ITM Cup and South Africa’s Currie Cup at a time of year when there is little local Rugby being played.

“I’d like to acknowledge the support shown by stakeholders and club competitions across the country, particularly in Sydney and Queensland, where Premier Rugby competitions are working to schedule their seasons to avoid any scheduling clashes with the National Rugby Championship.

“We will continue to work with stakeholders at all levels of Rugby, including at club level, to further improve the vital role they play to create elite players.”

Australian Rugby Union has set up the National Rugby Championship Commission to establish the competition.

The Commission includes representatives from Australian Rugby Union, the Rugby Union Players’ Association (RUPA), Super Rugby, FOX SPORTS and Foxtel. It is chaired by independent sports consultant, John Boultbee AM, who has worked extensively in Australian and international sport including rowing, soccer and at the Australian Institute of Sport.

The announcement of the new competition has been welcomed by RUPA, which has strongly advocated for Australian Rugby to improve the elite player development pathway.

RUPA CEO Greg Harris said RUPA is pleased to have played a key role in the inception of the National Rugby Championship.

“In 2007, 98% of our members said there was a missing link in the transition from club level to Super Rugby so we’re very excited and optimistic about the long-term benefits that a high-level, national competition can deliver to the game competitively and commercially.

“This new competition will give all non-Wallaby Super Rugby players an opportunity to continue to develop their skills in elite match conditions and will provide an opportunity for an additional 150 players to experience Rugby in a semi-professional environment.”

Expressions of Interest are now being sought from existing clubs wanting to compete in their own right, clubs wanting form a syndicate with other organisations such as universities or individuals who would like to apply for a place in the competition.

Expressions of Interest close on 13 January 2014, which will be followed by a formal tendering process, with successful teams expected to be announced by the end of February 2014.

Successful teams will be selected based on a number of criteria including: financial performance; professional team staffing structure and environment; commitment to player development; venue facilities; links to Super Rugby clubs; and current or potential fan base.

For more information or to download an EOI form, click here.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Good news

What I would like to see is attempt to keep some semblance of "real" teams that have a history rather than artificial franchises - which was one of the many problems with ARC Mk 1.

They could have Sydney, NSW Country (playing games at Newcastle, Gosford, Wollongong etc), Brisbane, QLD Country (Townsville, Cairns etc), Western Australia, Victoria & ACT. That would leave a bye so maybe a 2nd Sydney side.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
GThey could have Sydney, NSW Country (playing games at Newcastle, Gosford, Wollongong etc), Brisbane, QLD Country (Townsville, Cairns etc), Western Australia, Victoria & ACT. That would leave a bye so maybe a 2nd Sydney side.

Tasmania? We do actually play down here!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
National Rugby Championship set for 2014.

Australian Rugby Union today announced it will launch a new domestic Rugby competition in 2014, the National Rugby Championship.

Interest is currently being sought from teams who wish to be included in the competition.

In the interest of credibility, at least two games per round will be refereed by leading whistle-blower Steve Walsh.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tasmania? We do actually play down here!

Get your tender in the?

From another article a few weeks ago: "A tender process will be used to confirm who the sides are and what regions they will represent. Canberra, Perth and Melbourne are confirmed for teams along, with the Sydney and Brisbane heartlands.
Western Sydney will be seen as a key distinct region within Sydney."

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Good news

What I would like to see is attempt to keep some semblance of "real" teams that have a history rather than artificial franchises - which was one of the many problems with ARC Mk 1.

They could have Sydney, NSW Country (playing games at Newcastle, Gosford, Wollongong etc), Brisbane, QLD Country (Townsville, Cairns etc), Western Australia, Victoria & ACT. That would leave a bye so maybe a 2nd Sydney side.

WA isn't a real team, that would be made up, I hope (probably the same as the others) that some of our stronger teams are allowed to compete as a team. For WA (Perth) this would probably be Nedlands or Cottesloe.

May be tough to justify a side, when can't support an AFL side

But, no reason the Vics couldn't play a home game there ala Hawthorn

Surely that's a reason to put in, get a good team down there for the people to get an interest in, and suddently, Tasmania becomes a rugby hub because of good marketing. (Also don't try to rip their wallet's out of their pockets andmore will come!).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Which means artifical franchise that noone will care about

Western Sydney Wanderers football team (a made up team?) seems to have had no trouble gaining a following. They play to crowds of around 10,000.

West Sydney really is Heartland Rugby League Country (Wests-Tigers, Bulldogs, Eels and Dragons).

AFL recognised the need to target that area, that's why they founded the Giants (Greater Western Sydney Football Club) in 2009. The ARC already had a team that area in 2007 (The Western Sydney Rams).

Its such a pity the ARU shot itself in the foot by getting rid of the ARC, leaving a void for AFL to fill. I think they have missed the boat now.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
WA isn't a real team, that would be made up, I hope (probably the same as the others) that some of our stronger teams are allowed to compete as a team. For WA (Perth) this would probably be Nedlands or Cottesloe.

When I say a real team, I mean that a team called WA, wearing the state jersey has a history as an entity. There have been "Western Australia" teams play touring sides, just like there have been "Sydney" in Blue with yellow bands and "NSW Country" in old gold.

I doubt stand alone clubs will be allowed, as for example if Sydney were represented by Sydney Uni and Eastwood, noone other than those clubs supporters would follow it.

But I also shudder at the thought of teams like the "West Coast Coolers" in hot pink and lime green turning out against the "East Coast Charge" in purple and orange.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Western Sydney Wanderers football team (a made up team?) seems to have had no trouble gaining a following. They play to crowds of around 10,000.

They set themselves up as a "club" - very very clever in the way they did it. A model for others really. Similarly with Central Coast Mariners. Of course given soccers ethnic club issues in the past they had to do it that way.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

But Cottesloe v. Randwick would be a bit one-sided, wouldn't it?

I reckon they might go with a BigBash concept. A couple of city-based franchises based on a core of loosely local players with a couple of name players thrown in.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
But Cottesloe v. Randwick would be a bit one-sided, wouldn't it?

I reckon they might go with a BigBash concept. A couple of city-based franchises based on a core of loosely local players with a couple of name players thrown in.

Yep, there is no way they will go with existing clubs.

As with all the marketing driven enterprises, the last people they want to cater for are people who already love the game. They figure they already have them watching regardless. Its the "casual fan" the marketers want to pick up. Using the cricket BigBash analogy, when it was the NSW Blues playing I had an emotional connection and an interest. I really couldn't care less about the Sydney Sixers and teh Sydney Thunder.

Hence we'll have the "West Sydney Whizzbangs" v the "West Coast Coolers" etc

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... will also offer the opportunity to introduce innovative rules to the game to improve the spectacle for our fans.

I wonder what he has in mind here.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Here's some suggestions.

Bring the Free Kick ELV back

No penalty goals from scrum penalties (but allow gain in ground from kick to touch)

Drop goal to 2 points

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
That's his 25 min halves & no kicking at goal (apart from conversions) probably.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The free kick ELV was one of the worst

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The free kick ELV was one of the worst

It had the effect of speeding up the game though but was obviously more popular in the SH than the NH
A faster style of game is what I think they would be looking for. The main criticisms non-rugby people have down here are
1. Too many stoppages whilst waiting for "injured" players to be attended to prior to scrums.
2. A team can score 3 tries to none, convert all of them and kick a penalty goal and still get beaten 27 - 24 (with 5 of the opposition's PKs being for lucky dip scrum decisions by the ref)

richie

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
But I also shudder at the thought of teams like the "West Coast Coolers" in hot pink and lime green turning out against the "East Coast Charge" in purple and orange.
just like playing cricket in pyjamas with a white ball and the lights on, :holysheep::holysheep::booty: