New attire for Dixie......or OB?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
can you send me your boss' email address?

Bored_at_Work.jpg

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A column in the Times recently complained about the use of the historic present. It unleashed a flood of letters about grammar generally, which as usual demonstrated that most people think grammar is simply a set of rigid rules and have no idea of the role grammar plays or how it can change over the years. Predictable, but depressing nonetheless.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
A column in the Times recently complained about the use of the historic present. It unleashed a flood of letters about grammar generally, which as usual demonstrated that most people think grammar is simply a set of rigid rules and have no idea of the role grammar plays or how it can change over the years. Predictable, but depressing nonetheless.

Spawned, I believe, by John Humphreys having a little dig at Melvyn Bargh

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Is this a private joke? Because I don't get it. :confused:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes. The Mervyn Barg reference that I fumbled in how the Eye references Lord Bragg of The North.

RobLev kindly corrected me.

I then responded with an in-joke that only very long standing readers of the Eye might remember, which was the quite regular letter to Lord Gnome's organ from the famous moothie player, Larry Adler. It always began "Dear Etavirp Yee...."

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes. The Mervyn Barg reference that I fumbled in how the Eye references Lord Bragg of The North.

RobLev kindlysmugly corrected me.

I then responded with an in-joke that only very long standing readers of the Eye might remember, which was the quite regular letter to Lord Gnome's organ from the famous moothie player, Larry Adler. It always began "Dear Etavirp Yee...."

.msf.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Turn on your sarcasmometer

In this place?

That would be like taking an irony meter into talk.origins (try googling: talk.origins "irony meter"). You only do it turned to its lowest sensitivity with heavy shielding and a blast-proof enclosure.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In this place?

That would be like taking an irony meter into talk.origins (try googling: talk.origins "irony meter"). You only do it turned to its lowest sensitivity with heavy shielding and a blast-proof enclosure.

It goes all the way to 11
9k=