New Engagement Sequence

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know U11s isn't junior but my youngest played in his first match for his school today which was the first time most of the kids involved had played in this Continuum stage and hence the first time most had been in a 5-man scrum.

He tells me the teacher with the whistle was using an engagement sequence that even the New Zelanders haven't come up with yet:

"Come Forward", "Bend Your Knees", "Engage"...

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
**winces**

Now Im no junior rugby officianado, but I cant believe this is right!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
"Come Forward", "Bend Your Knees", "Engage"...

Sounds like a public school thing. :eek:

Seriously with the corporate manslaughter bill now on the books it's the sort of thing that'll see someone behind bars if ANYTHING SERIOUS HAPPENS

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seriously; I think I would be writing to the Head stating that I refuse to let my son play rugby until the sports teacher has done an RFU approved coaching course. I help coach U10's and I had to do one. Whats more I wouldn't only be concerned about the scrums. The RFU have a very set way to teach tackling. You can teach some things any way you like, but tackling MUST be taught the RFU prescribed way. :nono:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously; I think I would be writing to the Head stating that I refuse to let my son play rugby until the sports teacher has done an RFU approved coaching course.

My son's teacher is RFU qualified and several of his ex pupils are international players (though not for England:( ).

It was the teacher/ref at the school they were visiting.

Sadly it's very common.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
sounds like a case of taking the team off the park due to safety reasons, although i can imagine primary teachers getting the right hump about this.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was the teacher/ref at the school they were visiting.

Sorry mate, didn't realise that. I think I would be writing to that other school then. Safety first?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am appalled that there is still so much ignorance out there.

I wish someone would bang the heads of ERFSU (Schools Union) together and make them ALL comply / co-operate with full RFU instructions. Many do of course and have close CSC & RDO links in their County.

It is crazy that ESRFU claims seniority (as founded before RFU in Victorian times) and at times seems to do just does what it wants to. Some Prep Schools (private) are the worst offenders in my experience at the pre-contact pre U13 age groups.

At the older U16 and U18 1st XV levels most Public Schools I have reffed (Wellington, Millfield, Hampton, Dulwich, St Pauls, St Benedicts, and Hampshire's KES, PGS and Chuchers) have excellent coaches and master-in-charge with Game and LoG knowledge many clubs would do well to catch up with. Where state schools / 6th form colleges have linked with local clubs and use Community Coaches or other volunteers, LoG / coaching knowledge is pretty good too.

But there are still too many 'coaches' running school sides who have no formal guidance - I am not criticising the fact they are volunteers, but that the system seems to not provide the info they need. Mention an RFU County RDO or local CSC to them and they look blankly at you.

My daughter (ex Women's Premiership and Welsh Women's B cap) coaches her School's XV (at an U16 comprehensive) alongside another teacher who is in local club's 1st X (level 7 club). This is the school's second season of playing rugby and although they have a core of juniors from the local club, half the team had never played at all before last year. In preparation for their first ever Daily Mail Cup match at U15 yesterday she has spent ages on visits to us back home in the last month going through ELVs and new directives re tackle / ruck sealing, etc with me.

She called last night to say they had won (20 point spread !) but she was really cross. The referee was not a Society one (teacher from another school close to opponents), he had little if any knowledge of ELVs (insisted they must have a line-out receiver & equal or below 'numbers', did C - TP - E for engagement, and knew nothing about 5m offside at scrums). Her FR broke two of oppos props quite quickly (she has worked hard on her guys' techniques) and so ref went uncontested scrums but then didn't allow #8 pick up.

Plus oppo school master was very critical of her side's aggressive scrummaging, dynamic rucking (they go in linked as bound pairs and bind on to those already there she tells me) and flankers making a nuisance of themselves (ref didn't penalise just hand binding at scrums). To top it all afterwards he questioned how a female teacher might know more about rugby than him (by inference not directly) when discussing the ELVs that hadn't been applied - he didn't know about line out ones either !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Braver referee than me to pick an argument with your daughter.

I believe I had the pleasure of refereeing her more than once did I not?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes Simon you did referee them a few times in those Premiership seasons, but never made it to my level of red carding her !