New Law - lifting in open play

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just cascaded down from our society as WR official addition:-[LAWS]The attached new Law 9,19 becomes active With immediate effect.
Please circulate to coaches etc.

Law 9.19In open play, any player may lift or support a player from the same team. Players who support or lift a teammate must lower the player to the ground safely as soon as the ball is won by a player of either team.
Sanction: Free-kick

Thanks.

Spreaders[/LAWS]

I presume this is inserted before the current 9.19 with subsequent paragraphs being renumbered.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: Where the 2018 Law Book is actually different from 2017

Odd place to put that .. Law 9 is foul play

They should have a Law saying what is generally allowed . It could be called Mode of Play

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Odd place to put that .. Law 9 is foul play

They should have a Law saying what is generally allowed . It could be called Mode of Play
It effectively fits with 9.18.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

It's not Foul Play, though is it.
It's not even a PK offence

It's actually a generalisation of the law on lifting in lineouts, to apply to all open play
18.28.c

Last edited:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Not all of Law 9 infringements result in a FK.

The WR letter states "Please note that existing laws 9.19 to 9.25 will be renumbered as laws 9.20 to 9.26". Spot the 12 yo's mistake!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Acting in accordance with the Bye-Laws and on behalf of Council the World
Rugby Executive Committee have agreed to create a new Law 9.19 for implementation with Immediate effect:
Law 9.19
In open play, any player may lift or support a player from the same team. Players who support or lift a teammate must lower the player to the ground safely as soon as the ball is won by a player of either team.
Please note that existing laws 9.19 to 9.25 will be renumbered as laws 9.20 to 9.26.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If the lifter has one foot in touch but the ball is not over the plane, presumably play on, analogous to a maul or ruck where the BC is the reference?

If the lifter has one foot in touch and the ball is over the plane, brought out by the opposition? Or only if the catcher comes back to ground in touch?

If the jumper jumps from touch but is lifted by a player fully in the FoP..?

etc

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
lifting your own player

To: World Rugby Council
Secretary / CEO of Unions and Regional Associations in Membership of
World Rugby
Head of Development & International Relations
Date: September 27, 2018
Re: Executive Committee Decision:
Laws of the Game – new Law 9.19
Acting in accordance with the Bye-Laws and on behalf of Council the World
Rugby Executive Committee have agreed to create a new Law 9.19 for implementation with Immediate effect:
Law 9.19
In open play, any player may lift or support a player from the same team. Players who support or lift a teammate must lower the player to the ground safely as soon as the ball is won by a player of either team.
Please note that existing laws 9.19 to 9.25 will be renumbered as laws 9.20 to 9.26.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone know what happened to cause this urgent change in the Law ??

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the official letter that was sent out by World Rugby the word "must" was in bold and underlined. So I am guessing this is the reason. People have been holding players up for too long.

[LAWS]Law 9.19
Sanction: Free-kick[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Makes sense
I wonder if there has been a specific incident and injury to prompt the sudden action

I also really wonder why this email comes from the
Head of Development & International Relations

Last edited:

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Anyone know what happened to cause this urgent change in the Law ??

To me, Its not a change in law, its Clarification of what has, in recent years become common practice :hap:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
To me, Its not a change in law, its Clarification of what has, in recent years become common practice :hap:

world rugby haven't even called it a clarification, they have called it a new Law.
I have never seen a FK given in open play for this , I do t think it was common practice

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I tend to agree, there is a corner case on the toucch laws of a player catching the ball while their lifter's feet are in touch.
Which is not currently explicitly covered.

I would like the laws to be as well written as computer specifications, which go through multiple stages of review to catch areas like this and still miss them.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
It's in response to the Isreal Falou v Peter O'Mahony yellow card in the AUs v Ire test in the summer when CJ Stander chucked O'Mahony up but let him go. That slight nudge from the Wallaby led him to get 10 mins for making contact with PO'M in the air and him tumbling down.

Agree with the other posts about why this is foul play, which generally speaks to actions against an opponent (although not in all cases!)

As to the urgency, if one was cynical, WR needed to be seen to do something after the various summer controversies. Given the other option would be to totally rewrite the 'contact in the air' laws, this is the safest least-worst option, given the chances of anyone ever being penalised under this being remote... Not that I'm cynical of course...

Last edited:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Aren't we now just in to a law freeze prior to the world cup?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it's 'Foul Play' just by default - because they no longer have a section that deals with open play, generically.

They used to have Law 6 - Mode Of Play, and that's where it would naturally have fitted in.

Contrast with 18,28,c which is not under Foul Play (and is in any case rendered redundant)

Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may:
[LAWS]- Lift or support a player from the same team. Players who support or lift a team-mate must lower the player to the ground safely as soon as the ball is won by a player of either team. Sanction: Free-kick.[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Aren't we now just in to a law freeze prior to the world cup?

I count five Law changes since the 2018 Law Book was published

May : the one-man-ruck became a tackle with offside lines
May : a PK taken after time has expired that goes indirectly in touch now ends the game
Sept: if the ball is clearly exposed the ruck is deemed over.
Sept: at a tackle a player may have just one foot level or behind the ball, whereas in a ruck he must have both feet.
Oct : Players can lift a team mate but must let them down safely at pain of a FK

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I count five Law changes since the 2018 Law Book was published

May : the one-man-ruck became a tackle with offside lines
May : a PK taken after time has expired that goes indirectly in touch now ends the game
Sept: if the ball is clearly exposed the ruck is deemed over.
Sept: at a tackle a player may have just one foot level or behind the ball, whereas in a ruck he must have both feet.
Oct : Players can lift a team mate but must let them down safely at pain of a FK

CR, Was there anything in writing about the PK taken after time expires going indirectly into touch ending the game? And was there anything in writing about one foot or two feet behind the ball at a tackle?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
CR, Was there anything in writing about the PK taken after time expires going indirectly into touch ending the game? And was there anything in writing about one foot or two feet behind the ball at a tackle?

See 5.7.c. The word "directly " wasn't in the trial, but was inserted when the law was brought into the Law Book in May.

The one foot two foot. On reflection I will withdraw that. It's in the World Rugby 2018 guidelines slides .. but really I think it's more game management guidance then a new Law. Also it's so obscure I am sure hardly anyone has noticed it