New RFU League Structure

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
To answer Browners question. I have been counting on my fingers.

Over a season:

There will be roughly 100 extra games at National Panel (National 1 and 2) as National 2 is increase to 45 teams.

At what I understand is Regional Panel level (National 3, North1, North 2 etc) there are roughly 1,000 fewer games due to the loss of National 3 and the reduction to 12 team leagues, offset by extra cup games.

At County Level there will be roughly 1,000 extra games, as 60 teams are relegated into the county leagues and there are extra cup games.
However, this number could change as it depends on exactly how leagues get rearranged.

Camquin

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
While normally I would agree there is the safety issue that the different levels bring. The 3rd team is still losing every game even with a few second teamers in there (both sides are out of place).

But you can't have a club operating a 1sts and a 3rds only, by definition the next team of 9+9=18 become the 2nds. Being in too tough a league requires club interaction with league organisers , not subdividing the 18 available into two 'squads' of 9 that's just daft IMO.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
To answer Browners question. I have been counting on my fingers.

Over a season:

There will be roughly 100 extra games at National Panel (National 1 and 2) as National 2 is increase to 45 teams.

At what I understand is Regional Panel level (National 3, North1, North 2 etc) there are roughly 1,000 fewer games due to the loss of National 3 and the reduction to 12 team leagues, offset by extra cup games.

At County Level there will be roughly 1,000 extra games, as 60 teams are relegated into the county leagues and there are extra cup games.
However, this number could change as it depends on exactly how leagues get rearranged.

Camquin

Thanks Camquin,

So the development beneficiaries will be the top CB refs (L6-7?) who have more matches to go at, whilst RP level will see a narrowing of the funnel through to NP.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
But you can't have a club operating a 1sts and a 3rds only, by definition the next team of 9+9=18 become the 2nds. Being in too tough a league requires club interaction with league organisers , not subdividing the 18 available into two 'squads' of 9 that's just daft IMO.

I know it seems daft and to a certain extent I would agree but there are sides out there who operate merely as a group of friends and play for that side and will not play for anyone else.

Said club could do with asking the league to disband their 2nds but keep their 3rds as they have a chance at being competitive if they did that.

But they are too busy watching the 1sts win promotion for that.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Browner - said club have just withdrawn their 2nds and 3rds out of their respective leagues.

That takes it to about 9 or 10 sides that have folded this season in the NW leagues and added to a few in the RFU leagues as well.
Oh and one in London 2 NE.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Does that mean everyone who is a group ref will become federation referees again?