New rule changes in section 1.3(b) and 1.3(c) - iPAD LOTG version

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
My i-thingy iRB LOTG app has just issued an update saying it includes "New rule changes in section 1.3(b) and 1.3(c)".

These are the bits about lines on the picth. Have I missed something. :chin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The line markings have changed slightly. I assume it's that.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
yeah my iphone came up with it too today, wondred when that was going to happen?

Pitches i've reffed on are about 50:50 at the moment for the "correct" markings.

just looked at the "updated app", they still use the old video, showing lots of dashed lines and not the new version although the wording is now correct, as is "the plan" (pi$$ up and brewery come to mind :chin:)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I haven't come across the new markings as yet.

I think that those pitches that are poorly re-instated (usually council pitches) will be worse with the new lines (if that makes sense). There are times I've reffed using grooves rather than white lines.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Basically the 5s and the 15s lines have changed size/number/layout and that's it. Some IT wizard will provide the new:eek:ld drawing.

It's in another post somewhere I think.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The only time I have seen the new markings was at Twickenham. Locally we are lucky to get the old markings done correctly (and in some cases, visibly). I have suggested to our chairman that we should ask all clubs to make sure they use the new markings for next season.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The 15s haven't changed, nor the goalline 5m, as far as I can tell, juts the 5m lines parallel to the touchline, which now intersects as shown rather then being a dashed line (like the 10m) lines.

I can see no real benefit to the change -

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
They took out the silly line from the goal line to the 5m line in line with the 15m line which was never in play at all.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The 15s haven't changed, nor the goalline 5m, as far as I can tell, juts the 5m lines parallel to the touchline, which now intersects as shown rather then being a dashed line (like the 10m) lines.

I can see no real benefit to the change -
All the broken lines have changed. They now have deliberate crossing points.
One unnecessary line (continuation of the 15m line to the goal line) has been removed.

Not earth-shaking, but tidier. There are certainly more important changes needed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
- the new markings were used in the RWC (at which time of course they were the wrong markings as the 2011 Laws were still in operation

- to cover up this deliberate transgression the IRB adjusted the online version of Law 1 in 2011 Laws to have the 2012 diagrams

- when the 2012 Law book came out they then announced the change as a 2012 change.