[Scrum] New scrum half kit

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
New law mentions 'shoulders width' that a SH can stand nearer his side od the scrum. How long before we see SH wearing these 80s fashion essentials ?
b15642947cccc12ae1d5e180fa33e67b.jpg

Whose shoulders should we take as the measurement?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
standing with the left shoulder on the midline puts the ball literally down the line of the FRs feet.

And this is a solution to scrum issues when the opposition have even less chance of striking against the head so only have a huge shove to counter with? Leta lone the putting in team HAVING to have soembody hooking (define hooking maybe) so potentially creating an 8 v 7 contest?

didds

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
standing with the left shoulder on the midline puts the ball literally down the line of the FRs feet.

And this is a solution to scrum issues when the opposition have even less chance of striking against the head so only have a huge shove to counter with? Leta lone the putting in team HAVING to have soembody hooking (define hooking maybe) so potentially creating an 8 v 7 contest?

didds

For the scrum gurus out there would all of this have been "solved" by saying the SH must put the ball in the middle (part of the ball touching the middle was fine by me) but that BOTH sides must attempt to hook for the ball, thus keeping the "shove" as 7v7?

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The Lawmakers trial to move away from a "straight along the middle line" feed will be an historical event once adopted into Law.

I predict stats will show that defending teams no longer get a realistic prospect of gaining this increased advantage of restart of possession.

Once 'virtual guaranteed - possession' is proved then Law-Makers will seek to find a way to get the ball to the #8 quicker to speed the ball exiting the scrum. This should take us to the 'RugbyLeague style' scrums which in my mind exist to keep a static gathering of forwards in one place merely to allow some room for backs to exploit.

It's an erosion of the contest for possession which was one of the USP's of RU.
#ShakesHead2WR

I can only imagine that WR's long term strategic goal is to be 'preferred controllers' of the re-unified code whenever that day arrives.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Over the years the authorities have tried to give more value to the try in an attempt to motivate teams to score them. Perhaps another approach to create more tries would be to put less players on the pitch!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I can only imagine that WR's long term strategic goal is to be 'preferred controllers' of the re-unified code whenever that day arrives.
Please stop banging that drum. It doesn't help.