[Tackle] New tackle laws

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This appears to have very little impact at the grass roots level. They are looking at a retrospective punishment following confirmation of a concussion, and presumably this will need video evidence of the tackler as well. I'm not sure this is really a new 'tackle law', more a new disciplinary sanction in the event of concussion.

Rugby could go down the route of NFL in making poor tackle technique an offence, but the differences are clearly less padding and therefore more onus in rugby to use proper technique, with poor technique more a result of a genuine error or the speed of the game rather than any attempt to injure opponents (as was the case on occasion in the NFL).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another reason to dodge a diagnosis of concussion at the top end, player welfare?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
This I find interesting:

"World Rugby rolled out a “nipple line” tackle trial during the Under-20s World Cup but referees found it near impossible to make split second decisions if a tackle was on the imaginary line or above."

If that is open knowledge, then players will continue to take the risk.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... In short, if the tackler gets concussed through poor technique, they’re liable for suspension.

Finally a sensible idea!
Good. I hope they extend it to players jumping on top of a player waiting to catch a ball as well.

... "World Rugby rolled out a “nipple line” tackle trial during the Under-20s World Cup but referees found it near impossible to make split second decisions if a tackle was on the imaginary line or above."

My guess is that top end Refs will only want to see that the tackle is clearly below shoulder height and won't get stressed whether it is strictly at nipple height.

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
This appears to have very little impact at the grass roots level.

I don't think that's a bad thing. IME it's a top level problem far more than grass roots.

I'm not sure this is really a new 'tackle law', more a new disciplinary sanction in the event of concussion.

Yep, you're quite right - the thread wasn't well named. But again, I don't think this is a bad thing. Most of the time these things are mistakes and I'm very much against cards for mistakes.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
This I find interesting:

"World Rugby rolled out a “nipple line” tackle trial during the Under-20s World Cup but referees found it near impossible to make split second decisions if a tackle was on the imaginary line or above."

I have seen shirts in the junior game with a tackle line printed across the chest as part of the design - would seem like a good way to aid the ref. This law is one that they could introduce into age grade rugby to cause players to learn to get low from an early age

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is still going to be a problem in judging impact height. Previously the arm over the shoulder was a clear cut tell.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This I find interesting:

Then don't make it an imaginary line!!!

Make it an ACTUAL line, about one inch high, in a contrasting colour, running running across the chest at armpit height. This will achieve two things

1. Give the tackler an actual, visible line above which he must not make contact
2. Give the referee an actual, visible line which he can use to judge tackle height

This is not rocket science!

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ian, will you please stop providing this type of response, good ideas like that are going to devalue the chats on this forum:sarc:

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
The shirts for the English Championship Cup willhave a line on them from armpit to armpit.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Who is going to pay for all the grass roots clubs to have new shirts with a line on?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If they ever enforce that I am sure it would have a long grace period, so you would simply add the line when you next got new kit

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well it is not a new law It is part of the trial. Let's wait and see

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Who is going to pay for all the grass roots clubs to have new shirts with a line on?

Use tape initially, and phase them in as a design feature.