New Zealand Referee Assaulted.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shocking
Pragmaticly , should we make more space for ourselves when giving a rc ?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Shocking
Pragmaticly , should we make more space for ourselves when giving a rc ?

The moment I think about taking preventative action to mitigate such an assault in this scenario is the moment I hang up the whistle and don't look back, as it signals that the respect due the referee that is a pillar of our game is gone.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes I understand that.
On the other hand I recall a talk from Wayne Barnes once about how to deescalate and control scenarios that are highly charged, full or practical hints like that

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes I understand that.
On the other hand I recall a talk from Wayne Barnes once about how to deescalate and control scenarios that are highly charged, full or practical hints like that

WB is of the practice of explain, show the card and then back/walk away immediately as a means of controlling the situation.

On a personal note I always have the cards loose in my pocket - Yellow in one and red in the other. If I have to show one it will already be cupped in my hand ready to show.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
WB is of the practice of explain, show the card and then back/walk away immediately as a means of controlling the situation.

On a personal note I always have the cards loose in my pocket - Yellow in one and red in the other. If I have to show one it will already be cupped in my hand ready to show.
I believe Tony Spreadbury also used to keep a handkerchief in one of those pockets ...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The moment I think about taking preventative action to mitigate such an assault in this scenario is the moment I hang up the whistle and don't look back, as it signals that the respect due the referee that is a pillar of our game is gone.
If you think about it as issuing cards in a way that de-escalates the situation (as posted above) you'll be OK.

Create a gap - not because of the assault thing, but because doing that will start to defuse the situation. No-one is in anyone's face...

If I'm RCing someone for an act of violence, then I will be very aware of my situation and the dynamics. To be otherwise is, I would argue, bad practice.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you think about it as issuing cards in a way that de-escalates the situation (as posted above) you'll be OK.

Create a gap - not because of the assault thing, but because doing that will start to defuse the situation. No-one is in anyone's face...

If I'm RCing someone for an act of violence, then I will be very aware of my situation and the dynamics. To be otherwise is, I would argue, bad practice.

and also be mindful of cultural differences in the way you communicate with players (maybe more of a Aus/NZ issue).

I wonder what the ref said or did that preceded that response. That would be a learning experience.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

If I am about to issue a card, I take a minute to de-escalate, and to go through the sequence of events in my head for reporting later. If there's argle-bargle, I separate the teams.

My concern is with whether I genuinely have to worry about assault before I step on the pitch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I am about to issue a card, I take a minute to de-escalate, and to go through the sequence of events in my head for reporting later. If there's argle-bargle, I separate the teams.

My concern is with whether I genuinely have to worry about assault before I step on the pitch.

Your process helps to make that very small risk even smaller

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is partly why I always verbalise the mental process to the players concerned, sort of a 'What I've seen', 'What my considerations are', 'What the outcome is' - it takes time and helps diffuse / ease any tension, it can also help remove any challenges, there will never be a discussion but if I've already explained everything that got me to my decision (doesn't mean they'll accept it mind!)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In context, there are millions of people playing hundreds of thousands of matches every season, and referee assault is so rare that it makes the news in other countries. It would be exceptionally self-limiting to let a fear of assault deter you from refereeing, IMO.

I've not yet been drawn into discussion when giving a card - clear, calm one-way communication with the captain present (and often via the captain) has served me well enough :)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In context, there are millions of people playing hundreds of thousands of matches every season, and referee assault is so rare that it makes the news in other countries. It would be exceptionally self-limiting to let a fear of assault deter you from refereeing, IMO.

I've not yet been drawn into discussion when giving a card - clear, calm one-way communication with the captain present (and often via the captain) has served me well enough :)

I agree that the level of violence isn't there yet, but I wouldn't be lying if I said I didn't have a line.

If I have to issue a card, I take a second to jot down what I'm putting in the report and telling the captain and offender in a one-way chat. If there's argle-bargle, I tell the captains to separate the teams to ease tensions.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know there are ways to de escalate a situation, but it’s a pretty poor show if we ever criticise a referee if they’ve been the subject of an assault. That is all the responsibility of the player involved.