Newquay Surf 7s

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone been to the Newquay Surf 7s before?

Had a call a couple of weeks ago, whilst off sailing, to inform me that I've been invited to officiate at this years tournament (i.e. TJ in the Open/Invitational tournaments and maybe referee a bit of the Club/Pub tournaments).

Looks like it should be a good (and tiring) weekend, with teams like Samurai, Army and Navy in the invitational tournament. I've refereed a day long 7s tournament before at a local club, but haven't been involved over the course of two days. Should be good practice ahead of my high altitude refereeing in September.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Where are you going in September?

I did the altitude thing earlier this year, sprinting was OK, recovery from sprinting was tough, and warming up was a lung sucker.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't the Nodster off to Aspen?

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yep. Flying into Denver on the 10th (back to Blighty on the 23rd).

First weekend we're refereeing at a college tournament at Laramie, Wyoming. Then the second weekend we're refereeing at the Aspen Rugby Festival.

I'm just hoping that it's cloudy whilst I'm in Newquay.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi Guys

just reading through some of the old threads, although i'm only just starting out how do you guys get the overseas "gigs". Looks like something worth working towards, traveling and getting to play/ref rugby what could be better????

:D :D :D :D

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Usually these exchanges are done through societies who have established connections. The Societies then ask their members to go - either as a thank you for service or as a development tool. Sometimes its one of each of those going together.

Other occasions people are away on business and then use this forum to identify fellow refs where they are going and sets things up there.

Third alternative is to hunt around for some tournement you fancy the sound of, contact the organisers and see if they fancy an overseas ref on the group. What's the worst that could happen!?!

Remember, if you do do that, you have to have permission from the RFU to referee overseas - your society chairman/secretary will advise you what you need to do!

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
just reading through some of the old threads, although i'm only just starting out how do you guys get the overseas "gigs". Looks like something worth working towards, traveling and getting to play/ref rugby what could be better????

East Mids has quite a few International Exchanges available - they're on the front page of our website.

Of course you do have to fund your own travel...

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks for the info guys, i'll start laying the foundations with the good lady for years to come:wink: :wink: :wink:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sounds like a lot of Panel and Group guys are off to Newquay Surf 7s this weekend ! Good way to blow all the pre-season fitness training.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, what a pain in the arse (well, the ankle actually). I had to pull out virtually at the last minute due to some heavy-duty and painful blisters on my ankle and achilles thanks to a pair of new shoes.

Was really looking forward to it as well. Quite a few guys from Gloucester were going down and it would have been a good opportunity to catch up and find out how things were going. I was also down in Plymouth mid-week anyway, good as there really.