Nightclubs

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At college I wrote many of my best essays at that sort of time. No interruptions.

That wasn't after 2am. It was before 7am :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So a group of colleagues from around the world is in Glasgow attending a conference. The hotel has a bar, at which you congregate prior to heading out to a restaurant. Also in the hotel is the Jamaican sprint team competing at the Commonwealth games, and the bar is packed by their supporters hoping to get a glimpse of their heroes. One such supporter, already in his cups, mocks your posh English accent, and receives from you only a gentle smile. This upsets him, and he starts to goad you with increasingly abrasive comments. A colleague attempts to reason with the fellow, who starts to push that interventionist around. Other colleagues try to get between the two of them, and before you know it the bar is a battleground.

Which of you gets sacked?

great case study.

we are are attending a conference, and are all booked into one hotel by our employer.
we are meeting for pre-dinner drinks in that hotel.
this is clearly and unambiguously a work event

So if my colleagues were minding their own business, and were attacked at random by a drunken member of the public is clearly not a disciplinary matter.
but if they were drunk, and engaging aggressively with other guests in a way that got out hand and ended up in a fight, it certainly would be

So it depends on what happened

Move the whole encounter to a night club at 2.45 would make it rather different.

If it took place in some kind of strip club then everyone in would be sacked. It's made very clear to us that work-events cannot take place in strip clubs (or similar) and that's a sackable offence in itself. That's to protect both the reputaion of the company, and it's part of treating our own staff inclusively and with dignity at work.

I have no doubt in my mind that my employers would regard a work event in a dwarf-tossing club as equally inappropriate.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
:buttkick::rc::)

So now I have to produce a risk assessment and a method statement for a going down the pub!:buttkick::rc:[\QUOTE]
No, a quick mental assessment will suffice, you're smart enough.

Dear Richard
ive had an idea, how about the whole squad go nightclubbing in this town we're passing through, they'll probably come back after 3pm. What could go wrong.
Phil

PS... If you concur, i recommend we have the players wear their GPS then so we could collect data on: .... impact/collisions/ bounce back into action once floored & even establish which unbonded players don't wade in etc..
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's not Richard, its Cockers.........and his No 2 is "call me Jordo" :biggrin:

PS: I can't do a mental assessment if I am smashed!

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Nothing good ever happens after 2am
My wife would beg to differ :pepper:

So now I have to produce a risk assessment and a method statement for a going down the pub!
:buttkick: :rc:
We all do...
PS: I can't do a mental assessment if I am smashed!
Inaccurately most of the time though... :biggrin:

On a most serious note, I don't know what actually happened... And I'm not sure I really care to be honest.
But, Browner's OP seemed to blame the 3 guys who got cut into pieces by 10 persons armed with swords and machetes for being out of bed at ungodly hours.
I find that rather misplaced.
Where I come from (both place and time), you sort out your argument by yourself, not 10 against 3...
Just saying...
Pierre.