no nr 8 in scrum

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
lets say a team cant field a full team .
youth / simillar
so both teams decide to go 7 man scrum { as allowed }
so no nr 8 .

would you allow a designated nr { lets say 6 or 7 }
to act as nr 8 .

the formation in most competition rules state
a formation of 3 & 4 { if there is no 8 }

now in youth irfu land .
it states a nr 8 must bind between both locks .

but if we take him away .
would you let flanker , bind in 8 position .

i dont think its allowed .
so technically , there can be no 8 & pick .

any views or even is there a law on this .

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For youth games the scrums must be balanced, so the answer is No.

For adults I see no issue with a flanker binding as No 8 providing he does it throughout the scrum. I wouldn't let him start in one position and end in another since this would involve loosing his bind (we have been told).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what phil said.

But particularly at U19 levels there is no leeway - a 7 man scrum MUST pack 3+4 for both packs. it makes a bloody mess of the resulting ball....

didds

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Though usually the #8, the law for unbinding and picking up the ball does not mention the number or position of the player allowed to do so.

20.10(c)

Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Though usually the #8, the law for unbinding and picking up the ball does not mention the number or position of the player allowed to do so.

20.10(c)

Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends.
From the WR site[LAWS]20.9 (b) Handling in the scrum - exception

Allow the number eight to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.[/LAWS](My highlighting)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
From the WR site[LAWS]20.9 (b) Handling in the scrum - exception

Allow the number eight to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.[/LAWS](My highlighting)

Wait, are you to tell me that the GLT17 are inconsistent with current law?

If in 15s a scrum wheels a bit, you would not allow the hindmost player in the scrum, who is now a flanker, to pick up the ball at his feet?

Or would you only allow him to pick the ball up if it is at his feet and not at the feet of the second rows?

Edited to remove the question about 10s.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Wait, are you to tell me that the GLT17 are inconsistent with current law?
Not so much inconsistent, as out of kilter.

If a scrum wheels so that the flanker has the hindmost feet, he can break to pick up the ball if it is at his feet, but cannot pick the ball out of the second row.

The trial law allows the #8 to pick the ball out of the second row even if he no longer has the hindmost feet.