no time play & safety

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last scrum of the match inside defending 22, players had asked how much time left, "about 30 seconds", call goes out from the assembled forwards "last play lads"

ball emerges ok, spun out to the backs team in possession keen to keep it in play, (they were winning/ likley to stay that way, were going for another try!) ruck forms attacking team still have possession when two players collide arriving for the ruck, defending player goes down holding his shoulder and is in obvious pain, I blow to avoid players trampling on him, physio runs on, game stops, "clock off" says I.
Attacking captain comes over " is this game ended sir", no says I blown for safety reasons will re-start with your scrum as you were in possession going forward. " but you said 30 seconds at the scrum so time must have expired.

I repeat that I stopped for safety reasons not blown for a technical offence so in my opinion game is still live, which he kind of accpepted as did most of both squads

Game re-started when injury sorted, with a substitute, ended a few minutes later after ball kicked to touch.

Great game, finished 15-7, good discipline, bit of handbags in 2nd half, two teams who wanted to play I received good report cards so all fine, except I am not sure I was right in my injury re-start call, should I have blown for full time?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If time had not expired you did the right thing

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If the clock had gone over 40 then I think you should have ended the game then. Although AFAIK there's nothing specifically in Law to actually say one way or the other.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
In equity I think you were right. No infringement has occurred so it would have been play on if there wasn't an injury. I would probably have made the same call!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the question become interesting, though, if time had expired. The team in possession may expect play to continue until the next bona-fide stoppage occurs. Potentially a defending team under pressure could feign injury to force the ref to stop the game and blow no-side.

ROY T

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
As previously indicated, it depends if the 40 plus injury has expired or not. In your case there was still time left and you had stopped play on a safety issue so I think your decision was correct.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last scrum of the match inside defending 22, players had asked how much time left, "about 30 seconds", call goes out from the assembled forwards "last play lads"

ball emerges ok, spun out to the backs team in possession keen to keep it in play, (they were winning/ likley to stay that way, were going for another try!) ruck forms attacking team still have possession when two players collide arriving for the ruck, defending player goes down holding his shoulder and is in obvious pain, I blow to avoid players trampling on him, physio runs on, game stops, "clock off" says I.
Attacking captain comes over " is this game ended sir", no says I blown for safety reasons will re-start with your scrum as you were in possession going forward. " but you said 30 seconds at the scrum so time must have expired.

I repeat that I stopped for safety reasons not blown for a technical offence so in my opinion game is still live, which he kind of accpepted as did most of both squads

Game re-started when injury sorted, with a substitute, ended a few minutes later after ball kicked to touch.

Great game, finished 15-7, good discipline, bit of handbags in 2nd half, two teams who wanted to play I received good report cards so all fine, except I am not sure I was right in my injury re-start call, should I have blown for full time?

I think you are right - else sides can feign injury to stop the game, once time has expired.

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
thanks for the feedback guys. The clock had expired, injury was genuine, according to physio, and the look on the players face, and still wearing an ice pack in the bar afterwards!

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've changed my mind, even if it had gone 40, because of the potential for an feigned injury you were right to carry on.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
A tricky one.

If a Bonus point situation is possible (either 4 try or Losing within 7) I would restart with a scrum.

If the game was effectively over anyway I think I'd blow for time.

Manage it.