Non Rugby question.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Fellow Rugby Lovers.....

One of the other sports I play is the oh so rough and violent, Badminton. I've recently been appointed to be the Club Sec. One of the things I'm going to implement is a registration form for members. There will be GDPR issues with this and I'm looking for a simple GDPR statement. Any Club/Society members have any tips, or even better, examples of any basic GDPR statements?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
lol, Thanks CR. I had tried this but I believe the search keywords were not specific enough. I've found one now and edited it for my club. I've submitted it for approval with the rest of the committee. Thanks for the help :D:D:D lol

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:)
The most common mistake is actually being too specific

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... There will be GDPR issues with this and I'm looking for a simple GDPR statement. Any Club/Society members have any tips, or even better, examples of any basic GDPR statements?
I was very involved with GDPR for work when it came in; it was a stressful time. Stick to the basic principles and you won't go far wrong.

• Do you have a reason to keep the details? In your case yes. A Club Secretary has a "Legitimate Interest" in keep some details of Club members.
  • Only keep details that are relevant. Eg you will need to keep records of e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and home addresses. If it's not important - don't keep it.
  • Make sure only relevant people see the information. Eg the Club Treasurer may need access to some of it. Watch out for general e-mails where everyone's e-mail address is visible to everybody else. :wow:
  • If you can, keep it secure eg encrypted or password protected spreadsheets
  • Let members see what records you hold on them if they want to.
  • Let members correct any mistakes if there are any and
  • Delete any information when it isn't needed again.

Last edited:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks for the assistance. It only a very small club right now. But I want to make sure that if we manage to grow the membership, we're covered under GDPR. Currently, from what I saw, nothing is recorded anywhere, other than a small notebook. If that gets lost, we'd be scuppered. ATM the 8-12 of us are all honest peeps, but if we get 30+ members and we lost the book we'd not have a record of who's paid membership.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I was very involved with GDPR for work when it came in; it was a stressful time. Stick to the basic principles and you won't go far wrong.

• Do you have a reason to keep the details? In your case yes. A Club Secretary has a "Legitimate Interest" in keep some details of Club members.
  • Only keep details that are relevant. Eg you will need to keep records of e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and home addresses. If it's not important - don't keep it.
  • Make sure only relevant people see the information. Eg the Club Treasurer may need access to some of it. Watch out for general e-mails where everyone's e-mail address is visible to everybody else. :wow:
  • If you can, keep it secure eg encrypted or password protected spreadsheets
  • Let members see what records you hold on them if they want to.
  • Let members correct any mistakes if there are any and
  • Delete any information when it isn't needed again.

this. this stuff with bells on.

the local league committee for my other sport, darts (*), asks for a lot of info that they don't need. such as home addresses, phone numbers etc. i tend to provide much of it as i've typically been a team official (captain or secretary) so the league need a way of contacting me. but for seasons where i am not, they simply get my name and other details as c/o the venue that i'm playing for.

i have no idea whether they actually log and keep this info, i suspect they simply bin the player registration forms at the end of each season. but i'm fairly confident that they don't have a GDPR policy.

(*) - i accept that not everyone considers darts a sport

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Currently, from what I saw, nothing is recorded anywhere, other than a small notebook.
If it's recorded anywhere (even in a small notebook) then the GDP Regs will apply.

... If that gets lost, we'd be scuppered. ATM the 8-12 of us are all honest peeps, but if we get 30+ members and we lost the book we'd not have a record of who's paid membership.
If the "small notebook" gets lost, then you have a GDPR issue. As the team manager for the local District U15 team, trust me you need a spreadsheet (personally I love Microsoft Excel) and a cloud based back-up. Eg my spreadsheet for each season is saved on my laptop (password protected) and backed up to www.dropbox.com which again is password protected (and free) so if my house burnt down or the laptop got stolen, I have an online copy I could download. My Dropbox account is split into work stuff (original letter templates etc) personal stuff (insurance paperwork, copy of passports etc) and rugby stuff.

I assume you can set up a basic spreadsheet, but if you can't and there's nobody else in the club who can, I can help you; but honestly, if it takes you more than 5 minutes to set up a basic template - you're doing it wrong. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From a very quick search of Badminton and GDPR, take a look at these:

https://www.ecsc.co.uk/resource-det...R56opvGCASP-SOnX6tmcWXeb07YTknXoaAp59EALw_wcB

https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/search?q=GDPR

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

Most of GDPR is comon sense. A whole industry is building up to make money over the fear of the implications. Of course after Brexit it may no longer be relevant in Britain.

GDPR itself might not be relevant post Brexit (well it will initially be adopted into UK law) but even if changed the same spirit regarding data management will apply.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
GDPR itself might not be relevant post Brexit (well it will initially be adopted into UK law) but even if changed the same spirit regarding data management will apply.

Hence the use of the word "may".

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks Taff, much appreciated. Thanks all. Yeah Excel was in my plans to implement this. Just need to decide if I want to keep the paper copies of reg forms or shred them once input into the spreadsheet.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thanks Taff, much appreciated. Thanks all. Yeah Excel was in my plans to implement this. Just need to decide if I want to keep the paper copies of reg forms or shred them once input into the spreadsheet.
I would

• Enter all the information on the hand-written forms into an Excel spreadsheet. One page per season - if they have seasons in Badminton.
  • Double check that you have entered the information correctly
  • Shred the original notes and
  • Make a note on the spreadsheet that they have been shredded and the date.
  • Back up the spreadsheet to the cloud eg Dropbox.
I have just had a massive clear out of paperwork. Trust me, your head is a lot clearer without it. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You could scan the originals saving these to Drop box or any other cloud storage system

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You could scan the originals saving these to Drop box or any other cloud storage system

Which can be as easy as taking a photo within the Dropbox app on a phone