North Walsham v Portsmouth

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Made me chuckle that this fixture is in London 1 - neither side anywhere near London!!

Anyone know anything about either? A wee bit off my patch...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jacko - it is in London & South East 1, not just London - lol.

In the same way North, Midlands and South West cover vast tracks of land, London itself is but a small central part of the Division. London itself is not a County, but made up of much of Middlesex - NW of river; some of Herts north of river; some of Essex NE of river; some Surrey - sarf west of river; some of Kent - SE of river).

Plus L= &SE has rest of Essex, Kent, Surrey, and Herts plus Hampshire (Portsmouth) and Eastern Counties (Suffolk and Norfolk [North Walsham]).

That is where the clubs come from, but Hampshire is in South West for referees (with Berkshire, Bucks and Oxfordshire) and I believe Herts is in Midlands (ex-Lucy ?) as far as referees go !

As for the clubs, North Walsham have always been a serious club at this level and higher in National Leagues, but seem to struggle at moment.

Portsmouth were a mid London & SE leagues club for years but invested in coaches and players with new clubhouse a few years ago, got up to London & SE 1, hang in there and now are mid-table.

Journey to North Walsham from Portsmouth is a nightmare (over 5 hours usually), so Portsmouth could be well below par (and some players may not make the trip). Basingstoke and Havant hated the trip in the past and robust agricultural nature of the play.

Good luck and enjoy

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
London itself is not a County, but made up of much of Middlesex - NW of river; some of Herts north of river; some of Essex NE of river; some Surrey - sarf west of river; some of Kent - SE of river).

are you talking geographically, or in terms of rugby?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dave

In terms of the construction of London & SE rugby leagues !

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
North Walsham has to compete for few (good skilled) playing resources with other clubs in the area .. whichever club has the most money and coaching resources etc will usually get the mercenaries ...
Diss are doing well in London 2 North ....
Further afield but roughly in the area, Cambridge have flown up the leagues in the last few years.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Diss are doing well in London 2 North ....

I've got Diss next week against Bury St.Edmunds. Should be a good local derby methinks - without much XMas cheer :)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
To complete the circle I have Portsmouth v Bury St Edmunds in Intermediate Cup on 13th as assessor for incoming SEG ref.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Jeez.
Diss was one of my exchanges before I emigrated.

I've had more fun!

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I do the occaisional training session at Portsmouth RFC and for some reason, they seem to forget everything we do when it comes to match day. If you can keep them on their feet, they'll be fine!

Good bunch of lads. I suspect the journey and the slope at Scottow will be the take their effect from the 65th minute.