Nose studs

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Fun afternoon today looking after a french womens touring team at a local university. :) Several games of 7's and 10's and everyone seemed to enjoy it evne if it was a mudbath. Had to go through a crash course in calls ("Lassez" seemed to work well).

Pre game one of the french players asked (through interesting translation) whether she could keep her (very small) nose stud in. Apparently it was very difficult to put back in (I'm too old!). I had already asked both captains to make sure jewellery and nails were ok.

I didn't think the stud would hurt anyone else . It was tiny and she covered it up, but I did explain to her that it was her risk.

Not being an expert in women's rugbby - any thoughts?:confused:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wrong call, Paully. When it gets caught in another player's sleeve and rips her nose off, the conversation where she agreed it was at her risk will totally slip her mind. You've no record of it; it didn't happen. Even if it did, frankly you owe her a duty of care to take more care of her than she does of herself. Worse would be if there was a clash of heads, and the other player had her cornea irreparably scratched or opened up by the stud.

Referees are there to uphold the laws of the game. If you misguidedly elect to place yourself outside the laws of the game as a referee, you have to take the consequences.
law 4.4(d): (d) A player must not wear jewellery such as rings or earrings.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remove it, simples.

They knew it to or wouldnt ask ;)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with Dixie. Absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Studs, keepers, rings, earrings, bangles, necklaces, bracelets and other items of jewelery, no matter how small, have no place on a rugby field.

They asked you about it, and you said yes, so if that woman had been injured because of her nose-stud, YOU could have been held liable for letting her wear it. (different if they hadn't asked and you didn't notice).

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
You got away with it this time next time you may not be so lucky
make sure there is no next time, no no and no take it of or out

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just state that (a) I am the only one allowed to wear jewellery today and (b) if I can see a stud, it comes out before the game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had already asked both captains to make sure jewellery and nails were ok.

Do you ask the Captains to check studs for you as well?
What about the FR briefing?

It is your responsibility, not theirs. Tell all the players "no jewellery is allowed, even if I can't see it". If they then choose to ignore you, you are covered by law 4.5

Check the nails yourself, in the same way you do studs (on boots as well as noses). While you are at it, tell them not to wear underwired bras.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Had to go through a crash course in calls ("Lassez" seemed to work well).
You were telling them to get tired! They probably heard it as "Lâchez", which means "release".

I'll say it again: don't do it. BOTH sides are entitled to know what you are saying, and if you don't speak French you are very likely to get it muddled. You presumably also used a lot of English at other times. Stick to the language you can speak.

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks everyone. Clearly felt wrong or wouldn't have asked.

BTW there's no way the stud in question could have hurt anyone else - it was far to small (virtually invisible) and well covered - but I hadn't thought about it from her position and personal liability. Dixie has the analysis spot on.

On the subject of using french - please note the level I ref at - and the opening comment - it was all fun! Or isn't that the way they play it in Gloucester? Oh, thinking about it............:chin:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I had one saturday. dark complected girl with a band-aid on the bridge of her nose. she looked like she had somewhat of a shiner - so I figured she had been knocked on the nose in practice. after the match I walked by her and asked if she broke her nose and she said, "no, just a nose ring, can't take those out or they close up." last time I'm letting a band aid on a female go unchecked.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
On the subject of using french - please note the level I ref at - and the opening comment - it was all fun! Or isn't that the way they play it in Gloucester? Oh, thinking about it............:chin:

So you were having fun using French (almost). Did it help the players? Je m'en doute.