Not straight. Again. And again.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Perhaps a mis-placed sense of "I'll get it right this time".

Perhaps a word along the lines of "aim to the left" would have been in order.

That's for his captain not me. Anway back to the point. If it was genuine incompetence the throws woul not all be wrong in one direction (or at least it is not very likely).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Thanks for the update Simon and clarifications.

So it seems they were not all to the right, they were to both left and right though always to his own team., That is weird, and all i can suggest is that on top of poor technique there is some sort of subconscious bias going on affecting which direction its wobbly. Unless he and skipper and team really REALLY didn't understand what was going on! (that's not a serious suggestion as i am sure Simon explained it very well!)

So there's my attempt at suggesting why they were always NS to his team's side.

I still do not buy that anybody is so stupid, aided and abetted by skipper and teammates (and coach if present) , to deliberately always throw squint in the light of increasing sanctions. That is too nonsensical.

Over to somebody who can explain that.

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I'm still interested in hearing from anyone with any answers as to why a thrower would continue deliberately throwing squint after already being penalised and being threatened with a YC.
Err ... perhaps they just thought the Ref didn't have the balls to carry out the threat.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Seeing as he (ref) was already turning over with scrum/LO offers to the oppo, then PKs, it was already a failing idea though wasn't it? The YC was only an icing on the cake. His team was already losing possession and (with PKs) probably territory too. As a bizarre tactic it still doesn't stack up.

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
So when stood one onside of the pitch all the not straights skewed left and on the other side of the pitch they all skewed right. Some of you reckon this was done to a lack of skill? Ok that must be it them. THe guy just happens to skew them all to his own team!

I've just check my birth certificate. Sorry guys I was not born yesterday.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
"The throws all went to his side, both sides of the field."

Sorry boys I was not born yesterday.

On one side they ALL skewed Left on the other Right.

Always left on one side and always right on the other.

Yep that was no accident.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So when stood one onside of the pitch all the not straights skewed left and on the other side of the pitch they all skewed right. Some of you reckon this was done to a lack of skill? Ok that must be it them. THe guy just happens to skew them all to his own team!

I've just check my birth certificate. Sorry guys I was not born yesterday.

I get that weirdness as well.

so why would he escalate through deliberately giving the ball to the oppos through turnover LO/scrum, to PK and eventual YC? what is this genius masterplan? That his entire team and coaching staff also buy into 100% ?

its just daft.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I get that weirdness as well.

so why would he escalate through deliberately giving the ball to the oppos through turnover LO/scrum, to PK and eventual YC? what is this genius masterplan? That his entire team and coaching staff also buy into 100% ?

its just daft.

didds

This is exactly why you go for a drink in the clubhouse afterwards! Perfect time to ask what he was doing!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so simon - what was his answer? :)
didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
No clubhouse - this is America!

I didn't feel like heaping misery upon him...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cheers Simon,

I guess then we now fall into one of 2 x 2 camps..

1) YCing a player displaying a lack of skill in the weeds is punishment too far - or not
2) the thrower in the OP was deliberately throwing NS for a tactical reason nobody can fathom, or has some other technique failing reason for such a "biased" NS history.

:)

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

its just daft.

didds

That's his teams problem not mine. I can only answer based on the facts as presented.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Go on peg leg... Throw off the shackles of the whistle for one moment ?

Hazard a guess, have a stab... Put yourself in his shoes ?

Why would you do such a thing if it were you?

Go on. You know you want too ?

Didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have some sympathy with Pegleg on this.

At some stage I have to part company with the captain/thrower on trying to understand what the hell is happening and just deal with it. ATP, making suggestions along the way that are rebuffed.

"We don't have another thrower" was when I drew up the plank.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I do sympathoise - really :)

what was the real issue with shrugging at the captain and saying "fine - you do realise that you are losing PK awards every time this happens as a result then" ?

But OK... I'll go with the YC then through sheer desperation.

Presumably you'd have YCd the next thrower IF he'd thrown NS as well?

And the next thrower?

What happens after you now have four throwers in the bin after several minutes (cos the oppo have now cottoned on to what is happening and are giving away LO throws asap in order to reduce the oppo numbers) and the scrum is down to less than 5 players, and uncontested potentially (though I guess they have to start using backs to make up their five).

what did all those YCs actually solve?

didds

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Well, I did warn the second thrower...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
indeed.

so IF that 2nd thrower had thrown NS you would have had to YC him as well, yes?

and the 3rd?

what then?

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
indeed.

so IF that 2nd thrower had thrown NS you would have had to YC him as well, yes?

and the 3rd?

what then?

didds

Might be able to go home early!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
what did all those YCs actually solve?

Well, let us look at the facts. The 1 YC did actually solve the NS issue. Which goes to show it was the right thing to do.

Why get into all these “What Ifs”? – the OP escalated, showed a card, and then the problem was solved. How they did it – IT WORKED. WELL DONE.

If it had not worked, then you need to consider other options. Other management. But this was text book escalation.