[RWC] Not straight

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
https://www.facebook.com/greenandgoldrugby/videos/10153698722874282/

Not sure how to embed the video? Perhaps someone with more tech smarts and me can help out.

Not withstanding the ridiculous percentage of not straight feeds in this vid, check out the feed at video time 2:00. It isn't down the center of the scrum, but I'm curious how many people would call this straight and how many not straight?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No wonder Oz hammered Uruguay. Every scrum ended up as a PK for OZ. Now that is Tier 1 bias.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The feed at 2m is fine.

But my main issue is - how many times was the scrum stationary after the hit, and how many times did Oz keep driving forward after the hit? The 2nd scrum is a disaster from a reffing point of view - Oz keep their legs pumping after the engage, and keep driving it forwards, it is still moving when the #9 is told to get the ball in. IF the non-feed side had been doing that the #9 wouldn't ahve put the ball in, and would be asking for the early push FK!

How many times do elite refs have to be told - square and stable and stationary? We change the entire engagement calls to make that easier for them.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The feed at 2m is no way fine. The Elite game scrum is STILL a joke. The crooked feed is here to stay. The "hit" lives. Elsewhere we have the joke that is the "ruck" that bares no resemblence to the law book ruck.

Our community game needs to be left to get on with proper scrums and a far better spectacle all round.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No wonder Oz hammered Uruguay. Every scrum ended up as a PK for OZ. Now that is Tier 1 bias.

So tier 1 bias was the sole reason Oz beat Uruguay? Lucky for us, I guess ��

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The feed at 2m is fine.

But my main issue is - how many times was the scrum stationary after the hit, and how many times did Oz keep driving forward after the hit? The 2nd scrum is a disaster from a reffing point of view - Oz keep their legs pumping after the engage, and keep driving it forwards, it is still moving when the #9 is told to get the ball in. IF the non-feed side had been doing that the #9 wouldn't ahve put the ball in, and would be asking for the early push FK!

How many times do elite refs have to be told - square and stable and stationary? We change the entire engagement calls to make that easier for them.

How ARE the grapes tasting?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
How ARE the grapes tasting?

Fine thanks. Switzerland does some nice wine. Had a nice red from Ticino last night.

And if you are implying there is sour grapes - I didn't care about the result of the Fiji - Oz game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fine thanks. Switzerland does some nice wine. Had a nice red from Ticino last night.

And if you are implying there is sour grapes - I didn't care about the result of the Fiji - Oz game.

Well, I couldn't see much wrong with the scrums. Some pre-feed jostling & settling but from what I could see the scrums were:
1. over the mark, and
2. steady & square
when the ball was fed.

Straight feeds? Whatever the ref lets you get away with.

Darryl Godden

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm in agreement.

With the feeds the way they are, you may as well negate scrummaging and have free kicks. Occasionally the team with the put in may bounce it off the front row legs and gift possession, but, generally, the team with the scrum wins possession, not by contest, but by sending the ball to the back row.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I'm in agreement.

With the feeds the way they are, you may as well negate scrummaging and have free kicks. Occasionally the team with the put in may bounce it off the front row legs and gift possession, but, generally, the team with the scrum wins possession, not by contest, but by sending the ball to the back row.

The reason RL persevere with (joke) scrums is that, temporarily, the forwards are tied in and space is opened up for the backs - in theory. In RU, FKs allow 16 additional players to take up available space.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It is hardly difficult to propel the ball par
allel to the goal lines with one end of the ball jusrt running alongside themidline, and the vast lajority of the ball closer to your own hooker. that is advantage enough surely?

didds

You would think not but I had to educate a young scrum half a few weeks ago on how to roll the ball in. He was trying (and failing) to put on end over end.

At level 10 do you ping or educate? I chose the latter and at the third scrum he finally got it right. Hooray!