not support their own weight?

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watched a match the other day and one side were winning a lot of turnover ball. This was how they did it:

tackled player presented ball ball OK, lying horizontally across pitch, ball in line with stomach, and a c.2foot gap between body and ball

first defender to arrive would lean over and place *both* hands on the ball, but in so doing was on the balls of his feet, and had a considerably amount of his weight was going though his arms into the ball. He is not touching the tackled player at all

His team mates would then come in behind him, grab hold of him and drive forward/lift him up in order to get him back on his feet.

Apart from applauding a marvellous piece of athleticism and clearly well practised and executed technique by all the players involved, there was a nagging doubt in my mind about whether or not the player was off his feet. If the ball was not there it would have been a penalty for diving over.

The ref did not ping them for it all game.

Curious as to your views

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
By defender do you mean the team not in posession? If so why does he not just pick the ball up given the tackled player has released it and it is 2' from him?

If the first player in is a team mate of the tackled player then sounds like off his feet to me.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
sounds like he was off his feet.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We were always told to step over the player with one foot in such circumstances so you are balanced when you pick the ball up.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
first defender to arrive would lean over and place *both* hands on the ball, but in so doing was on the balls of his feet, and had a considerably amount of his weight was going though his arms into the ball. He is not touching the tackled player at all

Curious as to your views

He's playing the ball and gained possession of it so I'd say either of these apply:

15.6(a) After a tackle, all other players must be on their feet when they play the ball. Players are on their feet if no other part of their body is supported by the ground or players on the ground.
Sanction: Penalty kick

15.6(e) Any player who gains possession of the ball at the tackle must play the ball immediately by moving away or passing or kicking the ball.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
He's playing the ball and gained possession of it so I'd say either of these apply:

15.6(a) After a tackle, all other players must be on their feet when they play the ball. Players are on their feet if no other part of their body is supported by the ground or players on the ground.

15.6(e) Any player who gains possession of the ball at the tackle must play the ball immediately by moving away or passing or kicking the ball.

I don't see where you say wether he is on or off his feet? Which is it?

From Gillburt's description I'd say he was off his feet. Part of his weight is being supported by his arms / the ball.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
This must be a new "fashion" for I am seeing a lot of it now in the ML/AP/6N. Quite often the arriving defenders just lean on the ground over the top of the man on the ground and wait for the cavalry to arrive. I don't understand why they don't go for the ball, but they don't. Mostly it's difficult to see as the attackers arrive and try to drive them back, but occasionally they are late and it's quite clear.

evilad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not sure if anyone has seen this months rugby world magazine. In the coaching section they have been going over the tackle area, and are encouraging the first player fromt he attacking side to get into an almost horizontal position with his hands on the tackled played. (who has released the ball). This brings into question:
1) Is the srriving player on his feet?
2) can the tackled player move away from the tackle area?
In my mind both are penalty offenses so whichever one you penalise should create no argument,I was wondering what others thought?

Also, if the first one is defintely a penalty offence, why are Rugby world teaching such things?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
By defender do you mean the team not in posession? If so why does he not just pick the ball up given the tackled player has released it and it is 2' from him?

If the first player in is a team mate of the tackled player then sounds like off his feet to me.
Long Thread Alert!

Why is it only an offence if the arriving player is the team mate of a tackled player? As with preventing the ball going 5m, I take the consistent view that actions are either lawful or not, irrespective of who does them. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two exceptions, both of which are very recent law amendments: a ball carrier is permitted to play an opponent who doesn't have the ball - anyone else doin this commits an offence; and a jackler can handle a ball in a ruck.

In general, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. I see the action described as going off the feet. However, I can fully understand the reluctance to ping a jackler getting hands on the ball; the thin end of another wedge perhaps, though its hard to see where the wide end might be.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not sure if anyone has seen this months rugby world magazine. In the coaching section they have been going over the tackle area, and are encouraging the first player fromt he attacking side to get into an almost horizontal position with his hands on the tackled played. (who has released the ball). This brings into question:
1) Is the srriving player on his feet?
2) can the tackled player move away from the tackle area?
In my mind both are penalty offenses so whichever one you penalise should create no argument,I was wondering what others thought?

Also, if the first one is defintely a penalty offence, why are Rugby world teaching such things?

YES :wait: I saw that article too and was going to start a thread on it.

This is coaching aimed at kids/youth rugby, from a London Irish coach (i think), he makes the point about making sure head and shoulders are above hips (OK give him that one), but the position they have the "sealer" in is a PK in anyones book! I use the team "sealer" because that's what he's doing. The coach goes on to say this player must support his own weight, but forgets to mention this should be on his feet and not his elbows:nono:

Anyone got a contact at Rugby World, might be worth a call/email?

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Paul Morgan is the editor at Rugby World - email details in the front of the mag.