NRL style ref's bunker for Super Rugby?

Baylion

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sanzar are investigating a new concept – a so-called “referees bunker” – to be implemented in Vodacom Super Rugby in the near future to try and cut down on television match official decisions that are both controversial and cause an unnecessary delay in the game.

Sanzar refereeing boss Lyndon Bray confirmed to supersport.com that he was investigating the use of such a system – which has been implemented in Australia’s NRL Rugby League system, whereby the television match official was not at the game. He would rather be in a “bunker” where he would have access to at least nine different angles of play, and able to control which angles to look at if a decision was to be taken. The bunker would be situated off site, and connected via technology, taking away the emotion of fans in front of the TMO box.
http://www.supersport.com/rugby/super-rugby/news/150611/Sanzar_investigate_refs_bunker

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Still not actually implemented in the NRL btw, but a trial showed it more than halved the amount of time spent on video ref decisions.

Another benefit is not needing such a large pool of TMOs, thus leading to more consistency.

This is not going to speed up decision making or make it any more accurate if rugby continues the bollocks of having the on-field referee making decisions from the big screen.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
TV Directors Bias is officially recognised as being a problem :knuppel2:

& TMOs being swayed by the fans in front of their box ( presumably the home team allocate these 'premium seats' to their most vociferous berators ) :holysheep:.
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?18788-RL-officials-pelted-with-bottles&highlight=Maximus

Post #8. Said this ...... "What about the remote TMO with match decisions projected onto a screen with a thumbs up or thumbs down decision , and a coloured lazer indicating the position of any restart , armed guards protecting the gladiatorial players from accessing the decision makers observation tower...
.."
:shrug:.
. Bertrand Russell - [h=1]Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.” :clap:
[/h]
However, there is much about the Replay Command Centre article ( and its practical usage) that makes it a step too far, however the 10% reduction in "replay delay" (22/239s) must be considered to make it worthwhile !
. Are too many cooks spoiling the broth?
:clap:

My mind tries to imagine the future, I'm now wondering who might actually sit on the various 'thrones' of Central decision Review Control/Command when we get them ......

Bray/Spreadbury/Kaplan/ Watson/Owens :confused: :confused::confused:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
& TMOs being swayed by the fans in front of their box ( presumably the home team allocate these 'premium seats' to their most vociferous berators ) :holysheep:.

The TMO sits in a TV truck in the car park, so how is he swayed by supporters?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
.“In terms of the Bulls "no try" on the weekend - the first challenge is for the referee to determine which question he is going to ask. This has significant implications on the scope available to the TMO (& referee, who is watching the replays). The first question is "try or no try" - this question is asked when the referee has no strong position on whether the ball has been grounded. The second question is "give me a reason why I cannot award this try" - in this case, the referee has given us all a strong perspective that he believes the ball has been grounded & is checking for any obvious facts that would stop him from awarding it.“The referee asked the first question - now the TMO has to have conclusive evidence that the try has been scored. If he cannot draw a factual conclusion that the ball has been grounded on or over the line, then he cannot recommend a try be awarded.”
Either way the Bulls were denied a certain try, and a chance of winning the game, and whatever the explanation, is simply not good enough.

So, referee didn't see the ball grounded , so he asked his TMO - who also couldnt see it thus , and according to Bray that's "simply not good enough"
Whats not good enough LB? , the decision of these Officials doing their very best , or their view angle , maybe cameras built into the match shirt ?????????:shrug:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Don't believe everything you read?

There 'might' be one, but I am not aware of a TMO box, let alone one with fans in front of it.
Every TMO I know works from a broadcasters truck in the car park. They don't even get in the ground.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the point of the bunker is that they cover more than one game. Most leagues have staggered kickoffs so the same team can do the 2pm game and then go on to cover the 4pm game.

Even when games are at the same time there are economies of scale - if there are 4 simultaneous games you will still want four TMOS, but you don't need four trucks, four complete sets of technicians etc.

Plus it means usually the TMO can collaborate on decisions with colleagues.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If only there were a TMO who frequents these halls who could tell us...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Bertrand Russell - Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.”
But the inverse is not true. The mere fact that an opinion is eccentric is unlikely to get it accepted.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't believe everything you read?

There 'might' be one, but I am not aware of a TMO box, let alone one with fans in front of it.
Every TMO I know works from a broadcasters truck in the car park. They don't even get in the ground.

At Trafalgar Park here in Nelson, the TMO is in a broadcast truck inside the ground between the South and East Grandstands. Fans walk right past it after they enter through the south gate.

At both Eden Park in Auckland (before the rebuild for RWC 2011) and at Lancaster Park in Christchurch (before the earthquake) the TMO booths were in the grandstands right under the media centre and broadcast boxes. I know this because have been in them. Not sure where they are in the new stadia.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Before the comment is dismissed , .... The article was written concerning SANZAR .

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Worth mentioning that this concept has been taken to its logical extreme in the Canadian Football League, where they have few enough teams that they can have a full schedule with no two matches being played at the same time, and so they have one video referee who is on call for every match. Which at least stops people whinging about different video referees seeing things differently!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
which makes sense. If the TMO is going to be inside an enclosed control room, there's really no need for the control room to be transported around the country.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Re: Re : NRL style ref's bunker for Super Rugby?

Worth mentioning that this concept has been taken to its logical extreme in the Canadian Football League, where they have few enough teams that they can have a full schedule with no two matches being played at the same time, and so they have one video referee who is on call for every match.

Which at least stops people whinging about different video referees seeing things differently!

Is next weeks TMO the same person ????