Numbers in lineout

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I manage it as I've said. If they try to arrive late to manufacture a FK. I don't give one and I let them know why. I'm not about to waste time doing a teams counting for them.

If the throwing in team arrives "legally" with fewer numbers then the other side has to comply if they don't it is not my job to hand feed them. On the odd occasion (early doors) I get a defending side ask me "how many?" I suggest they count them. It works! I see no reason to change.

If teams ask, pre match if I am going to give them the numbers I tell them "No. It's your place to count and comply. But I will not let either side manufacture a FK by arriving late." It's simple and it works.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Why are people making an issue of a simple matter?

................and there was me thinking you were the only one making an issue of it :chin:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
How? My line is don't go there. Adding layers is pointless. Don't invite trouble. Tell then they are not getting cheap FKs etc. Don't invite a situation where you have to go down the line you suggested which would just invite ridicule and accusations of pomposity?

Simply:

If a "numbers" situation comes up. Either ping IF the offenders were able to react and do not. OR deal with the contriving of the FK with ATP. Keep it simple.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simply:

If a "numbers" situation comes up. Either ping IF the offenders were able to react and do not. OR deal with the contriving of the FK with ATP. Keep it simple.

I agree with this, Pegleg.

what I don't agree with is the additional rule you have :
when dealing with numbers, NEVER under any circumstances or for any reason at all, EVER enquire of the throwing team how many they are putting in to the line. For fear that they will refuse to tell you, and then what happens.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree with this, Pegleg.

what I don't agree with is the additional rule you have :when dealing with numbers, NEVER under any circumstances or for any reason at all, EVER enquire of the throwing team how many they are putting in to the line. For fear that they will refuse to tell you, and then what happens.

I'd rather you did not put words into my mouth.

I see no need to get involved. End of!

I asked those who advocate getting involved to say what they would do in such a situation. The person suggesting it has no answer and Phil E's answer would see you laughed out of a rugby club round here.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't get involved at first.

If a team asks me "what if..." then I tell them it is their responsibility to count, but they will be given reasonable time to adjust, and vice versa.

Broadly along the same lines as Pegleg, not really ever been an issue.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
So how about an answer to my question?

Red tell you, POLITELY, that they have no "legal requirement to tell you their numbers. So what do you do? Do you tell them you'll not FK non compliance from Blue - assuming Red arrive in good time?

OB you "liked" Accylad's post so, as an assessor, If you heard a referee ask Red to tell you and Red declined to do so, How would you expect the ref to respond?

For me telling them to give blue time to respond, as the law requires or they'll not get their FK (infact they risk conceding one) works. I'm not happy to "demand" compliance with a non law.

Don't log on every day Pegleg...

Manage it again.... I guess I would say "give them time to match numbers red, blue pay attention to their numbers". Never had it happen though.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Read to the end of the thread now.

Different strokes for different folks seems to sum it up.... I've no problem with what Pegleg wants to do. What I do works for me.

Let's move on eh?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Which is why I asked the question. Why create issues where they don't exist.

Didn't take long did it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Which is why I asked the question. Why create issues where they don't exist.

Didn't take long did it.

So it IS your fault for asking the question :nono: :wink: