Nutrition

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Does anyone have any good nutrition plans?
Don't need to lose or gain weight as I'm happy where I am, but just in terms of fitness.

Thanks
Cody Kuxmann

Mini P

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Plenty of fluids during the week and especially on days when you are training.

I only tend to referee on Saturdays. For me, I have a weetabix in the morning as soon as I get up. That is normally between 8.30 and 9.00am. During the morning I also drink 1 litre of lucozade sport (just reminded me, I need to get some more). I have the powder version as it is cheaper. If you drink water on the day, you will be peeing a lot. The scientific stuff in the sport drink will reduce the amount of peeing. 1 hour before I leave the house (most games are local), I have nutella on toast.

I also take a banana with me to the game and as soon as I have get to the ground (about 1 hour before kick off), I have that.

Everyone is different but this works for me.

Just on a side note, I referred down your way at the weekend at Harlow vs Upminster (London 3 North East). Great place to referee

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Refs I know will eat the following before a game: mars bar, coke, bacon sandwich, cup 'o tea, coffee, gatorade, lucozade (knock-off of gatorade in the UK; seriously, have you heard of the Florida Lucos? No? Exactly), that shitty excuse for bacon that the folks in the UK call bacon, pasta, whole wheat pasta, granola bars, muesli bars (which are the same as granola bars but it sounds foreign so the idiots get charged more for them), eggs, egg-sandwich, salad, egg salad, egg-salad sandwich, bananas, fruits other than bananas.

Given the above, provided you're not getting sauced before kickoff, you're ok.

My serious response would be if you're really concerned about your food intake, make a food diary for 2 weeks and bring it in to a nutritionist.

Asking for nutritional advice from a bunch of booze-happy refs like ourselves is like asking for job advice Tyrone Biggums. Have you seen the Rugbyref's food diaries? Boiled sausage gets a 9. Out of 10. That's not a typo.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Well seeing as how some of you are fairly high up I was assuming there was some secret plan that you have. I will do that, the nutritionist, I recall someone had a decent plan but couldn't recall who. I was taking about more weekly things, nit really habe related.

Personally I hate lucazaid I found this stuff called torque, which is a sports drink minus added sweetener

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
boiled sausage? Is that a hot dog?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Only diet stuff I am trying to stick to is a cut down on the booze and am looking at going "primal" to see if that helps with weight loss. If you have the chance head over to www.marksdailyapple.com to have a look through some nutritional stuff.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
boiled sausage? Is that a hot dog?

Nope. It's a sausage...boiled:

refsmeal12.jpg

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Well seeing as how some of you are fairly high up I was assuming there was some secret plan that you have. I will do that, the nutritionist, I recall someone had a decent plan but couldn't recall who. I was taking about more weekly things, nit really habe related.

Personally I hate lucazaid I found this stuff called torque, which is a sports drink minus added sweetener

with "h" being close to "g" and "b" being kinda close to "m", I'm guessing "habe" mean "game"?

Are you sure this Torque thing doesnt have alcohol? This one looks like 6% to me!

torque.jpg

Only diet stuff I am trying to stick to is a cut down on the booze and am looking at going "primal" to see if that helps with weight loss. If you have the chance head over to www.marksdailyapple.com to have a look through some nutritional stuff.
I found that I still needed to supplement food intake with a LOT of milk and protein powder as I wasnt getting enough calories eating simply what folks call a "paleo" diet. I found there was a difference between a diet for well-being (off-season!) and one for athletes (the other 364 days a year!), with the latter typically requiring more calories and therefore more nuts than an insane-asylum and more white breasts than a maternity ward. So I drink a lot of milk with some protein shakes. YMMV.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
with "h" being close to "g" and "b" being kinda close to "m", I'm guessing "habe" mean "game"?

Are you sure this Torque thing doesnt have alcohol? This one looks like 6% to me!

torque.jpg

I found that I still needed to supplement food intake with a LOT of milk and protein powder as I wasnt getting enough calories eating simply what folks call a "paleo" diet. I found there was a difference between a diet for well-being (off-season!) and one for athletes (the other 364 days a year!), with the latter typically requiring more calories and therefore more nuts than an insane-asylum and more white breasts than a maternity ward. So I drink a lot of milk with some protein shakes. YMMV.

I can only imagine the brilliant thread started by this complete "npelj". use bryan's decoder.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm afraid that you'll have to get a lot higher in reffing circles to get access to the secret info that we get given for eating and training!

Let me tell you it's far more than eating a diet that has been around for ages for athletes and training your nuts off at the appropriate exercises! I imagine that Bryan has access to even more top secret info than I do!

Seriously, read the books and if you're completely clueless try reading these:

http://www.getstrength.com/Table/Programs-and-Protocols/

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of my favourite dishes at the moment is a turkey sausage green lentil casserole. Using these:

http://www.jennieo.com/products/75-Lean-Hot-Italian-Turkey-Sausage

2 sausages, 34g protein, 20g fat and then the awesomeness of the lentils and other veggies in there. Delicious and nutritious!

Refs I know will eat the following before a game: mars bar, coke, bacon sandwich, cup 'o tea, coffee, gatorade, lucozade (knock-off of gatorade in the UK; seriously, have you heard of the Florida Lucos? No? Exactly), that shitty excuse for bacon that the folks in the UK call bacon, pasta, whole wheat pasta, granola bars, muesli bars (which are the same as granola bars but it sounds foreign so the idiots get charged more for them), eggs, egg-sandwich, salad, egg salad, egg-salad sandwich, bananas, fruits other than bananas.

Given the above, provided you're not getting sauced before kickoff, you're ok.

My serious response would be if you're really concerned about your food intake, make a food diary for 2 weeks and bring it in to a nutritionist.

Asking for nutritional advice from a bunch of booze-happy refs like ourselves is like asking for job advice Tyrone Biggums. Have you seen the Rugbyref's food diaries? Boiled sausage gets a 9. Out of 10. That's not a typo.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about Skittlebrau?

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
On Thursday I am planning on a very big calorie day. Lots of high protein turkey, deep fried of course, potatoes, vegatables, some more turkey and some apple pie moonshine for dessert. Then a long nap. Try that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
a deep fried turkey? That's one helluva big deep fat frier you've got ! How long does it take? Do you batter it?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
That'll certainly help restore your Leptin levels. I recommend so beer as an alternative carb source. Gotta cover your nutritional angles.
On Thursday I am planning on a very big calorie day. Lots of high protein turkey, deep fried of course, potatoes, vegatables, some more turkey and some apple pie moonshine for dessert. Then a long nap. Try that.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Barker's deep fat frier is indeed a beast. Fits snow crab legs in very easily too, yummy

a deep fried turkey? That's one helluva big deep fat frier you've got ! How long does it take? Do you batter it?

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
turkeypot.jpgSnow crab legs. Are you kidding me? Those were Alaskan King Crab legs. The turkey fryer I have is big enough that I need to use it outside. See the set-up. That is a safety issue as well. The pot I use is 30 quarts (28.4L). I use a small turkey so it fits. I usually get about a 14 pound bird. There is no batter needed. I partially fill the pot with peanut oil and get it up to a temperature of 175 degrees and lower the turkey in. The hot oil sears the outside and keeps the inside very moist. In all seriousness, it is a very healthy way to make turkey. You can check out some pictures of a couple of guys cooking one here:

http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/photos/gft/

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
. You can check out some pictures of a couple of guys cooking one here:

http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/photos/gft/

That is absolutely badass. I'm in Chicago for US Day of Honoring Pilgrims, though I think it's traditionally-cooked turkey we're eating. I would turn up the nerd on this pretty hard if I had the chance, with full on PPE, hardhats and goggles, along with a massive amount of heat and hot oil. Think Mythbusters meets Tim the Toolman Taylor meets Emerill.

Let the tryptophan roll!