NZ v Argentina : A question

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Here's the replay on 'Ask the Ref' from Stuart Berry

Question: Hi, Back in April this site reviewed a referee call of 'swinging around the ruck' (ttp://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830545/ ). The same referee made the same call twice in the Argentina NZ match on 28 Sept. Can you please enlighten us as to what Law you think is being applied here? http://youtu.be/cHJSLWZZgy0 I can see plenty of other things going on at the ruck but the call was specifically 'you can't swing your foot around the ruck and kick the ball'. My question is 'why not?'

Stuart Berry: Hi Rick, good query. The law of swinging around a ruck relates to entry and staying bound, similar to a player creeping up the side of a maul. When you enter a ruck, it needs to be through the gate and you need to stay bound (with your original bind) as opposed to simply moving up the side of a ruck.

I think the key to this interpretation is "with your original bind". As I mentioned earlier I can see some consistency with the way mauls are adjudicated although I always took the 'swimming up the side' ruling to imply deliberate changes of bind which would probably mean that bind was broken at some point.
In the examples used at ruck time it is usually a dynamic change of bind as the player you originally bind onto moves away even though you remain bound due to other joining in eg in the McCaw case he binds with the left arm, then the right and the player on the left arm peels off.

Although there is some consistency here the Laws themselves only refer to initial bind and remaining bound. They appear to be being interpreted in a particular way to remove an action that, to the ref, looks wrong such as a player binding to a maul legally then being swung around to the opposition side by the movement of the maul. The player (as with the use of the foot) then looks offside even though he isn't.

The use of 'original bind' certainly isn't always used to all binding situations. Every ruck would have dynamic bind changes.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
When you enter a ruck, it needs to be through the gate and you need to stay bound (with your original bind) as opposed to simply moving up the side of a ruck.

So, following on from this ?! ...... law 16.2(b) will likely be amended to read

[LAWS](b)
A player joining a ruck must bind on a team-mate or an opponent & stay bound to this player until the ruck ends using the whole arm. The bind must either precede, or be simultaneous with, contact with any other part of the body of the player joining the ruck [
/LAWS]

???

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, following on from this ?! ...... law 16.2(b) will likely be amended to read

[LAWS](b)
A player joining a ruck must bind on a team-mate or an opponent & stay bound to this player until the ruck ends using the whole arm. The bind must either precede, or be simultaneous with, contact with any other part of the body of the player joining the ruck [
/LAWS]

???

Completely unworkable. Players are entitled to leave and rejoin the ruck - specifically allowed in 16.5 (c)

What if the player you are bound to leaves the ruck? What if he gets taken off his feet?