NZ v Australia

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I'll admit that I turned off with about 10 mins to go (visitors too early, damnit) but I was wondering about the thoughts on the game.

I thought Mr Barnes had an absolutely cracking game.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I thought the TMO / Ref got the one call wrong when it there was player offside and Nigel called it to WB's attention. Ithought it pretty clearly offside. Only saw from around 6- 28 (ish) untill Autralia got back to 34 was watching in our clubhouse. WB looked ok form a half viewing point of view.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
harsh but fair

sm.jpg

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I thought the TMO / Ref got the one call wrong when it there was player offside and Nigel called it to WB's attention. Ithought it pretty clearly offside. Only saw from around 6- 28 (ish) untill Autralia got back to 34 was watching in our clubhouse. WB looked ok form a half viewing point of view.
Yes I thought so too. I wonder if the problem was Barnes was making the decision looking at a screen from afar and determined it wasn't clear and obvious. Perhaps I'm biased, but close up on my high definition screen it looked very clearly and obviously offside.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes I thought so too. I wonder if the problem was Barnes was making the decision looking at a screen from afar and determined it wasn't clear and obvious. Perhaps I'm biased, but close up on my high definition screen it looked very clearly and obviously offside.

win some, lose some.

I thought there was a clear forward pass leading up to first try.

Wayne Barnes, ABs, forward pass ... who would have thunk?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Not seen the match.
But surely if it is clear and obvious it will be clear and obvious for the ref on the Diamond Vision screen.
I would have thought the ref should be thinking, had I seen that at the time would I have felt obliged to take action.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Problem was there was one camera angle that showed the offside clearly. We saw it once, but WB didn't make his decision off that angle.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Are the new scrum laws in effect in SH? I assume not as both scrum halfs just threw the ball in the second row all day as they usually do at the top level

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
another thread suggests the new laws don't start in the SH for a few months yet?

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Are the new scrum laws in effect in SH? I assume not as both scrum halfs just threw the ball in the second row all day as they usually do at the top level

I think this answers your question:

-----Original Message-----
From: Secret Squirrel [mailto: secretsquirrel@worldrugby.co.uk]
Sent: 30 February 2017 13:16
To: Top Secret List

Subject: Secret email for the big Guys eyes only

All,

Don't forget the new, experimental, Scrum feed Law does not, of course apply to you.

Secret Squirrel

wayner

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This Memo -Date: July 19, 2017 Re: Approved Global Law Trials suggests 1 of January, 2018 for SH.

[LAWS]However the November window games will be played under these laws. 
[/LAWS]
So one of those amended laws reads:
Law 20.5 and 20.6 (d) Throwing the ball into the scrumNo signal from Referee. The scrum half must throw the ball in straight,but is allowed to align his shoulder on the middle line of the scrum,therefore allowing him to stand a shoulder width towards his side of themiddle line.

Does this mean that referees will not enforce the "put the ball into the scrum straight" that seems to have been ignored in the professional game in the last few years?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
My understanding is that this will allow a feed under your own front row, but squint feeds to second row should be fk