Nz V Fiji 7s Final: YC correct?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wiser people than I will comment on the sanction (although to me it seemed fair) - but I did notice the referee twice called it a "late dangerous tackle". There was nothing late about it... the player was never liable to be tackled legally as he never gained possession.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well... it certainly fits into the "looks wrong" category.

but.,..

[LAWS]Law 15
A ruck is formed when at least one player from each team are in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground.[/LAWS]

Well that certainly describes what happened.

The best call is probably dangerous play - but even white's actions are not elbow leading... use fo forearms to push away so "leading with a forearm" .. but they weren't used as anything other than a shoving mechanism.

I'm not trying to justify his actions - just offering an alternative suggestion etc. It could have been just a clumsy ruck creation in a parallel universe.

didds

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Sorry didds but your reference to Law 15 doesn’t fit the incident at all

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
also found it a bit humorous that the time keeper put up the YC clock before Murph had pulled out the card. Rookie error, that one :)

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Tackled the man without the ball and used no arms.

Dangerous tackle = YC. Although I suspect that part of the judgment was caused by the initial injury concerns to the AB player.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Sorry didds but your reference to Law 15 doesn’t fit the incident at all

so its not at least one player from each team in contact, on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground. I guess the ball was bobbling around a bit and may have been a little in the air as contact was made but I doubt that nuance is where you were going with this dixpat.

Its not " a tackle" whatever the ref and the TMO and the AR said. It does look wrong I agree :) YC for stupidity definitely!

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
2017 Law 9 Foul Play

[LAWS](e) Playing a player without the ball is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

2018 Law 9 Foul Play

[LAWS]14. A player must not tackle an opponent who is not in possession of the ball.[/LAWS]

What happened would fit the 2017 Law but "Playing a player" is replaced with "tackle" in 2018. Does that change the meaning? The incident certainly wasn't a 'tackle'.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Does anyone see this as:

No attempt to tackle
Forearm to neck/head area
Foul & Dangerous

Sanction: Red card

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Does anyone see this as:

No attempt to tackle
Forearm to neck/head area
Foul & Dangerous

Sanction: Red card

YC looks right to me.

Was the Fiji player sited?

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
2017 Law 9 Foul Play

[LAWS](e) Playing a player without the ball is dangerous play. Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

2018 Law 9 Foul Play

[LAWS]14. A player must not tackle an opponent who is not in possession of the ball.[/LAWS]

What happened would fit the 2017 Law but "Playing a player" is replaced with "tackle" in 2018. Does that change the meaning? The incident certainly wasn't a 'tackle'.

2017: so how do you form a ruck if you cannot play a player without the ball?
2018: That's wasn't a tackle. If the ref was being super cute and knowledgeable etc by continually calling it a tackle so this was "valid" at least he understood the nuance required.

I'd have thought it was easier to just call it dangerous play. If only cos it wasn't a/an tackle/attempted tackle. It was just a barge.

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
A player is considered in possession if attempting to control the ball. So you could argue it was a no-wrap tackle, AKA a barge.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well...black wasn't attempting to control the ball... he hadn't even reached it, let alone stuck an arm/foot out .

who knows!

didds