Obstruction at line out

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sorry if this has appeared elsewhere, but watching the Aviva premiership there has been an unusually high number of penalties for obstruction at a line out by the 'lifters' when teams are trying for a maul, I noticed this was picked up on by the commentators too (who were being rather critical of it). Has there been a new directive/clarification/secret email resulting in referees being more on the ball in this regard or is it just coincidence?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
it was flavour of the month three or four years back. I wouldn't be surprised if it got bounced up the refs' priority list pre-season. Don't worry -it'll only last until November

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
No secret emails - just being spotted. I see you're a Tigers fan, and there was a clear one on Sunday when the ball was popped to the back pod, (lineout over) and then the new pod had players ahead of the ball carrier. Very blatant and right in front of Mr Pearce who was at the back.

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No secret emails - just being spotted. I see you're a Tigers fan, and there was a clear one on Sunday when the ball was popped to the back pod, (lineout over) and then the new pod had players ahead of the ball carrier. Very blatant and right in front of Mr Pearce who was at the back.

Yeah I don't disagree with the calls, I just saw several across all of the games at the weekend.