Odd question

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Sure I've seen this somewhere but can't find a reference or Law to back it up.
Red player kicks for touch, Blue winger running back to cover the line jumps from inside the pitch and hits the ball which had crossed the plane of touch back into the field of play but lands in touch. He was in the air when he hit the ball.
The ball went back towards his line.
Could someone point me to the Law and what should have happened please.
I was running touch in a pre-season game when this happened and would like to know if the decision was right.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sure I've seen this somewhere but can't find a reference or Law to back it up.
Red player kicks for touch, Blue winger running back to cover the line jumps from inside the pitch and hits the ball which had crossed the plane of touch back into the field of play but lands in touch. He was in the air when he hit the ball.
The ball went back towards his line.
Could someone point me to the Law and what should have happened please.
I was running touch in a pre-season game when this happened and would like to know if the decision was right.
Fat chance! Nobody really knows.

A player with both feet on the ground in the field of play can tap back into play a ball which has crossed the plane of touch. However your player was in the air, and the only thing the law talks about is such a player catching the ball.

My own view is that if such a player has not crossed the plane when he taps the ball, play on. But others will differ.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Not repeat NOT going there:pepper:this thread should be locked

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Just go with the TJ - any discussion could get embarrassing.

And I'm in complete agreement with OB and Womble.

Cue sarky remarks. :)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Had this in my first game last week Red penallty kick for touch, I gave line out Red.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I struggle with these situations too. Overall I think laws for how or who has put the ball into touch are EXTREMELY confusing.

I found this pdf put together by the ARU that is very helpful. The one thing you didn't mention was whether the player had crossed the line of touch or not. If both the ball and player have crossed the line of touch then I believe the ball is in touch, put in by the kicking team.

http://ebookbrowse.com/line-ball-booklet-pdf-d369997533

Last edited:

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Ok, I was the one running touch and I signalled for a line out to Blue. As the ball was over the line and IMO so was the player in the air they were both out. Brief discussion afterwards but that was it.

gavb

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I would say the ball was in touch because the player landed in touch. If he had landed in the field of play and then fallen into touch, play on!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ok, I was the one running touch and I signalled for a line out to Blue. As the ball was over the line and IMO so was the player in the air they were both out. Brief discussion afterwards but that was it.

This is how I have viewed it over the last several years. If ball AND Blue player are both over plane of touch ball is out. Red have put it there. Line Ball Your Call supports this.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would say the ball was in touch because the player landed in touch. If he had landed in the field of play and then fallen into touch, play on!

Gavb, what would you do if ball was in touch and player was in touch but he jumped the other way? Started in touch, caught or punched the ball, then landed in FoP.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
the players want to and expect to play on as much as possible. I go by what feels/looks right and it has to be 100% clear and obvious to stop play for these odd situations.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I think the summary from the "Line Ball Your Call" pdf is pretty good.

Here it is:

• If the ball, which has crossed the plain-of-touch, touches a player
beyond the touch-line, the ball is in-touch, regardless of whether the
player is on the ground or jumping in the air. The ball has been put
in-touch by the kicking team.

• If a player has one foot in the field-of-play and one foot in-touch, and
catches the ball, the team that kicked the ball has put the ball in-touch.
The non kicking team has the throw-in to the line-out.

• The only situation where play continues after the ball contacts a
player beyond the touch-line is where the ball has not crossed the
plane-of-touch and the player plays the ball but does not catch it.
(Law 19 Definition last paragraph)

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
What happens in this situation?
Red kicks the ball aiming for touch (whether in open play or from a penalty). As the ball goes past the plain of touch the Blue player, who is still in the field of play, reaches over and taps the ball back into play BUT it goes forward (towards the Red dead ball line).

I would assume that the ball is NOT deemed out of play and that it is fact a knock on?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Red kicks the ball aiming for touch (whether in open play or from a penalty). As the ball goes past the plain of touch the Blue player, who is still in the field of play, reaches over and taps the ball back into play BUT it goes forward (towards the Red dead ball line).

I would assume that the ball is NOT deemed out of play and that it is fact a knock on?

I agree.

What you need to avoid is confusion over a player catching or attempting to catch the ball while standing with one foot in touch

Red kicks, Blue player standing with at least one foot grounded in touch, catches the ball- the ball is in touch, put there by Red

Red kicks, Blue player standing with at least one foot grounded in touch, attempts to catch the ball, fails and knocks forward into the field of play - the ball is in touch, put there by Blue

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I agree.

What you need to avoid is confusion over a player catching or attempting to catch the ball while standing with one foot in touch

Red kicks, Blue player standing with at least one foot grounded in touch, catches the ball- the ball is in touch, put there by Red

Red kicks, Blue player standing with at least one foot grounded in touch, attempts to catch the ball, fails and knocks forward into the field of play - the ball is in touch, put there by Blue

They really need to simplify all this. It is much too complicated and confusing.

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Cheers guys,
And there was me being slightly confused on Saturday.......:wtf:
At training this evening and know I'll be asked about this so the teflon shoulders will come out and I'll direct them here.
Probably best this is locked as someone previously said.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

So if he attempts to knock it back into play, it goes forward and then lands on the line or clearly in touch ... we presumably offer the scrum/lineout option to the kicking team, as the knock-on went into touch.

They really need to simplify all this. It is much too complicated and confusing.
+1!!!