Odd try

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
On Saturday I had a level 7 exchange up on the Wirral. I perhaps gave the strangest try I've given.

On the 5m line off a ruck the black scrum half, picked the ball up and took a few steps then threw a bullet pass to the 10, who happened to be directing his players. As the pass came in the black 10 turned his head and looked at the ruck, and got hit square in the face, I yell off head play on, to add to this, he then got clobbered a bit high and late by a bulky blue number 8 (I'm thinking yellow). The ball went about a meter from in-goal where the black center ran through to gather and score. I turn around to see a nice pushing and cuddling session between 8 and 10 (nothing in it).

Now my question is what's your process for awarding the try and yellow carding 8, as in which order?

Thanks
Cody

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On Saturday I had a level 7 exchange up on the Wirral. I perhaps gave the strangest try I've given.

On the 5m line off a ruck the black scrum half, picked the ball up and took a few steps then threw a bullet pass to the 10, who happened to be directing his players. As the pass came in the black 10 turned his head and looked at the ruck, and got hit square in the face, I yell off head play on, to add to this, he then got clobbered a bit high and late by a bulky blue number 8 (I'm thinking yellow). The ball went about a meter from in-goal where the black center ran through to gather and score. I turn around to see a nice pushing and cuddling session between 8 and 10 (nothing in it).

Now my question is what's your process for awarding the try and yellow carding 8, as in which order?

Thanks
Cody

IMO

1. Award the try (one long blast on the whistle)

2. Time-off (a few short peeps)

3. Call out Blue Captian and Blue 8

4. YC for blue 8

5. Time on, allow Black 10 kicker to proceed with conversion.

6. Normal restart on halfway.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like Ian's approach. T do anything other risks confusion on the touchline, with people wondering whether a PT has been given for #8's offence.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't forget the bolloking for Black 9 for crap pass (face level) to 10.:buttkick:

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Don't forget the bolloking for Black 9 for crap pass (face level) to 10.:buttkick:

Black's match report describes them as pouncing on a rebound to score. No mention of the poor 10 with a flat nose.