[Line out] Offside at LO - change in law?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
put onside by the opposition

How is that? The phrase 'Never Onside' springs to mind. As I understand it if you have become inadvertently stranded offside you have to retire at least to the line that was your original offside line before you can re-join play OR one of your ONSIDE team-mates runs ahead of you WHILST YOU ARE RETREATING. All the time NOT INTERFERING WITH PLAY

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Law 18.35 says:

Players not participating in the lineout must remain at least 10 metres from the mark of touch on their own team’s side or behind the goal line if this is nearer. If the ball is thrown in before a player is onside, the player will not be liable to sanction if the player immediately retires to the onside position. The player cannot be put onside by the action of any other player.

My emphasis - but I beleive any other player includes the opposition.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
How is that? The phrase 'Never Onside' springs to mind. As I understand it if you have become inadvertently stranded offside you have to retire at least to the line that was your original offside line before you can re-join play OR one of your ONSIDE team-mates runs ahead of you WHILST YOU ARE RETREATING. All the time NOT INTERFERING WITH PLAY

RETIRING FROM A RUCK, MAUL, SCRUM OR LINEOUT

9. A player who is offside at a ruck, maul, scrum or lineout remains offside, even after the ruck, maul, scrum or lineout has ended.
10. The player can be put onside only if:
a. That player immediately retires behind the applicable offside line; or
b. An opposition player carries the ball five metres in any direction; or
c. An opposition player kicks the ball