Offside confusion

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not that you get put onside under 10m Law if the ball is charged down, rather you were never offside under it in the first place.

You are probably offside in general play, however. If you are, then the charge down, an opponent playing the ball, puts you onside in that case.

So, if Morgan had not touched the ball and it had gone straight to Alberts we would have scenario 5 above ....Alberts would have been offside and no try?

What if Morgan had touched the ball, but not 'intentionally'?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, if Morgan had not touched the ball and it had gone straight to Alberts we would have scenario 5 above ....Alberts would have been offside and no try?

No try, and PK to England for offside in general play by Alberts. He was not put onside by any of the criteria under Law 11.3

It would have taken quick thinking and courage for Morgan to have left that ball. He may not have had any idea that the ball came forward of a Springbok player

What if Morgan had touched the ball, but not 'intentionally'?

No try, and PK to England for offside by Alberts. Only an intentional touch (playing at) the ball puts Alberts onside under 11.3

[LAWS]11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under
the 10-Metre Law.

(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside.

(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.

(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.[/LAWS]

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Menace, yes within reason. But a lazy runner - loiterer, as described in Law - must not be allowed to benefit from loitering.

that's what I am getting at.

a lazy runner is offside already and if he isn't getting onside smaertish he is liable to PK
but you won't generally penalise him unless he interferes with play.

If he is offside, loitering, not getting back, but not interfering with play then most likely you will be ignoring him

but if he suddenly collects a kick from his team mate then he is interfering with play. I don't think the fact that red got a finger to it make him immune from punishment.

Get your point..and agree. In my mind I'm thinking that kicks with charge downs tend to occur during hurried parts of the game and i wasn't really thinking of the 'deliberate' loiterer/lazy ass! So yes I would agree that those should not benefit from hanging around in an offside position.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Get your point..and agree. In my mind I'm thinking that kicks with charge downs tend to occur during hurried parts of the game and i wasn't really thinking of the 'deliberate' loiterer/lazy ass! So yes I would agree that those should not benefit from hanging around in an offside position.
[LAWS]Law 11.9 [...] The referee makes sure that the loiterer does not benefit from being put onside by the opposing team’s action.[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
aside - -it's a great word, loiterer.

Q - what position do you play?
A - loiterer

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Having played every position on the pitch (and a few not in the coaching manuals) I used to describe myself as a (f)utility player.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No try, and PK to England for offside in general play by Alberts. He was not put onside by any of the criteria under Law 11.3

It would have taken quick thinking and courage for Morgan to have left that ball. He may not have had any idea that the ball came forward of a Springbok player

No try, and PK to England for offside by Alberts. Only an intentional touch (playing at) the ball puts Alberts onside under 11.3

[LAWS]11.3 BEING PUT ONSIDE BY OPPONENTS
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under
the 10-Metre Law.

(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside.

(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.

(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.[/LAWS]

see you can give a sensible answer :clap: Oh wait it didn't involve someone having a pop at NZ :wink: