Offside in open play

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
From today's match. Black kicks the ball and then another black player in front of the kicker picks up and I call offside. I then for some reason best known to myself award a free kick for accidental offside, but feel I have got rather mixed up. Comments please.

Last edited:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Yeah you have cocked it up mate, but don't worry we all make them mistakes when we are starting out.

Correct restart should of been a PK to the non offending team where the offside player played the ball but 5m from the offending teams try line if nessecary.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
You don't say how far ahead of the kicker the other player was when he picked up. If the kick came from a defensive lineout, for example, and the #9 kicked straight at one of his forwards who instinctively caught it, it may well have been accidental offside - thus actually a scrum rather than a FK. If on the other hand the offside player consciously played the ball, then the correct award is an option - PK where the offside player played the ball (or where he started his run if he chased it) or scrum where the kicker kicked.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Correct restart should of been a PK to the non offending team where the offside player played the ball ........

???

[LAWS]Sanction: When a player is penalised for being offside in general play, the opposing team chooses either a penalty kick at the place of infringement or a scrum at the place where the offending team last played the ball. If it was last played in that team’s in-goal, the scrum is formed 5 metres from the goal line in line with where it was played.[/LAWS]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... and the correct secondary signal is?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... and the correct secondary signal is?
The penalty/scrum option one. #35 in the book Ie One arm as for penalty kick. Other arm points to place where scrum may be taken instead of kick.

(Though prior to this one, although technically wrong, I often give the offside at scrum/maul signal as that seems to be easily recognised as offside. I've also used the hopping hand in an arched motion suggesting someone was in front. It depends what my wiggles arms decide to do at that moment to convey some sort of message about offside :shrug:)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
do you have a photo of your hopping hand?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
do you have a photo of your hopping hand?

No. Best I can describe it is with back facing (and shoulders parallel ) to touch line. PK signal for the side getting the PK and with the other hand signalling an upside down U (2 times). As if to signal a player in front of the other.

I've seen test referees NO and CJ use it - I'm sure?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
No. Best I can describe it is with back facing (and shoulders parallel ) to touch line. PK signal for the side getting the PK and with the other hand signalling an upside down U (2 times). As if to signal a player in front of the other.

I've seen test referees NO and CJ use it - I'm sure?

Ah ha, the " kick or scrum " aka the either end of the rainbow' signal , that's a fairly commonly used signal surely menace? , sometimes its also used for the late tackle on the kicker PK.... "Kick (here) or kick (there) ? "

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
2505dab30bb8e1aa302b9bca85eb1b52.png
?????

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ah ha, the " kick or scrum " aka the either end of the rainbow' signal ,

I don't think the "either end of the rainbow" signal is to indicate kick or scrum. It is to indicate "ball was played by your team mate there and you played it here"

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The signal works twice. First time "kicked here - played there" second time the options.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I don't think the "either end of the rainbow" signal is to indicate kick or scrum. It is to indicate "ball was played by your team mate there and you played it here"

Agree that its not to indicate options, its to indication location choice. There? or there? .

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Thats is dickie...That's what I use it to mean and assume CJ and NO also mean when they use it.

I then follow it up with the official 2ndry signal with the 'scrum there or PK here' signal (with explanation as none of the players seem to know it and are shocked usually with a weird WTF look on their face when you offer a scrum way over there).

Last edited: