[Tackle] Offside line at a tackle

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Confused, or not understanding what you're describing, if above became a ruck I would expect red on his knees to get out (tackler), meanwhile other reds have approached (over the top of yellow on the ground), bound on over him and ruck, all I would want him to do is stay out of the game. If red are winning the ruck then yellow on ground could very easily (and legitimately) be on the ground in front of the ball, at which point I'd expect him to roll away (if he could without preventing play) or at worst case just lie flat and out the way, is that wrong?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Even if there is not a ruck, the tackled player is technically offside and off their feet, so out of the game.
You might not call offside, but if they interfere, you would penalise for holding on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you are over complicating
I am not expressing it properly!

all I meant was that
- at a ruck
- a red player, on the ground, in between the blue hind foot and the blue #9 would be offside

Surely everyone agrees with that?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even if there is not a ruck, the tackled player is technically offside and off their feet, so out of the game.

He's not completely out of the game because this being s TWOL he forms the offside line for Red who are all lined up on his shoulder

So he is having a considerable influence on the game

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But isn't that the whole purpose of this forum ???? <Birthday thingy>

Well now, how about separate forums for geeky Law discussion on the one hand, and practical grass roots reffing advice on the other ?

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Not only do I think this is a great idea - I suggest the practical advice forum looks a bit like stack-exchange with up-voting of the correct answer. No point doing that in the other one as the chance of reading consensus is 0

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not only do I think this is a great idea - I suggest the practical advice forum looks a bit like stack-exchange with up-voting of the correct answer. No point doing that in the other one as the chance of reading consensus is 0

That is a great idea as well . I agree
Also a big part of being practical is to give the safe, expected decision, so id one option commands majority support , that makes it into the best answer

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

Yes, great suggestion. It would also create a discipline of the posts actually being answers to the question in hand!